My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, May 18, 2009

i have the best husband in the world


I had never been to an Ikea until yesterday. The closest one to us is like 2 1/2 hours away and I have been wanting to go for a long time. I would see sewing rooms with all these cool Ikea cupboards and ideas on Flickr with some of the smaller storage containers and I wanted to play Ikea sewing room too. My friend April had brought me a catalog and during our weekend away one of the places I wanted to go was Ikea. The problem was that Ikea was in the opposite direction from Webs, but as luck would have it was right on the way to Rhode Island and that was the weekend DH was taking DS to his first shipping out. I poured over the catalog and made a meticulous list with catalog numbers, colors and amounts. I asked very nicely for DH to stop and just pick things up for me. I told him I had details and if he needed help he could just ask someone. He reluctantly agreed (he hates to shop more than most anything). He and DS stopped on the way down and via cell phone DS informed me how horrible it was. I was very grateful and am happy with all the purchases.
Fast forward to this weekend when I asked if we could stop so I could actually see Ikea for myself and look at some other things I was unsure of until I could see them in real life. DH is fine with shopping as long as he has something to read and can sit in the car while it was being done so he agreed. I was amazed at how overwhelming the actual Ikea store was. How things were not set up in an easy to follow system and how the little errand I asked my husband to do was actually a fairly large undertaking. Poor DH. He is so good to me that he didn't just throw up his hands and continue on his way. I think I'll keep him. :-D

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been to an Ikea store either but would like to visit at least once. We have none in our area but I know where one is if I travel far enough. Maybe someday.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Sweet P said...

I love shopping at IKEA. It's also a drive for me since I live in New Hampshire. Your first trip to the store can be overwhelming, but each trip gets easier. I'm hoping to get an IKEA fix soon.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I felt the same way when I made a visit to our Michigan Ikea. That was almost 2 years ago and I haven't been back since...but I think I might be ready to try again. I, too, would like to trick-out my sewing room with some of their great stuff!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home