My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, March 23, 2009

i think the economy has been properly stimulated

I am home with my camera cable and .. umm.. my purchases. Did anyone notice how the stock market did today? I'm not saying we had anything to do with that... Maybe it was just a coincidence.
We were so excited to get going that I forgot to take a picture until we got to our first stop.... Marden's. We hadn't actually planned to stop there, but just before I picked April up she got an email saying they had a new shipment and it sounded great so we made a little detour. It's amazing how in an hour you can undo all of the stashbusting you have accomplished all year. :*( But Moda and Maywood studio for 2.99. What would you have done?
We stopped at a yarn outlet. Not thrilling. Then a really nice quilt shop. It was adorable. The people were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. It was about 3:00 pm after we were finished shopping and we were starving. They pointed us to a great place to eat and we had nice deli sandwiches for lunch.
Back on the road and next stop Harbor Freight. Judy did a post about Harbor Freight and how Vince could browse for hours and she would rather sit in the car and knit. Well April and I browsed for at least an hour and loved it so much we went back on the way home yesterday. I'm thinking Judy hasn't seen all the potential for the cool stuff you can find there.
The next day we went to the main stop of our trip, Webs. There was so much yarn and so many people we were overwhelmed. We had tried browsing online before we went, but without touching and seeing exact colors I had no idea what I wanted. Some time around lunch we were on overload and were more confused than when we got there. There was a little wool shop we had found online that was about 10 minutes away so we went there and then to lunch and went back to battle the crowds again. I really think I shop better without infinite choices. We each came away with about 100 in yarn and tired feet.
Here are pictures of all of our purchases laid out on our beds. April's first.
Now mine. Amazingly we bought almost the exact same amount.
On the way home we stopped at Trader Joe's. One of my coworkers from Massachusetts had brought in some nuts and trail mixes so I wanted to see for myself what they had. Let me tell you, we need one of those in Maine. I found some really yummy stuff at reasonable prices. I think our favorite so far is the Thai Chili & Lime Cashews. Soooo good. I emailed them today and requested that they open one in Maine. They would do great business.
Then, while I was in a persuasive mood, I emailed Outback Steakhouse and whined how much I miss the Sydney Sinful Sundae. I am hoping to start a write-in campaign to bring it back. Anyone with me? If you've never had it you should write just so you can try it when they bring it back
We had a really great time and I think it did me a world of good. I am much more relaxed and ready to get some of the stuff on my to do list done.
Now for the sad news. My stash report:
fabric in this week: 12.75 yards
fabric out this week: 0
fabric in ytd: 20.75
fabric out ytd: -.375
Ouch. It's a sad, sad thing. I have slipped into the red.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I love Trader Joes - never been unhappy with any of my purchases. Lucky for me there is one within walking distance. :o)

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tami, The road trip sounds like lots of fun. A getaway is just the ticket for stressful times. What can perk up a person better than a trip to a quilt shop and some eating out, I say. I LOVE the felted hat shown on previous post, oh my, I wonder if I'll ever be such a knitter ;D
cw

7:07 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

that sounds like a wounderful time!! I think we all need that!! time to go and just check everything out with no pressure to be anywhere or do anything but play!! I am glad you had such a great time!! And I hope you get those sundae's back!! ;-)

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home