My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

retail therapy

I didn't post my purchases from our mystery trip last weekend. When Kathie commented about my new repro fabrics it started me thinking about how I shop. I had planned my projects for the weekend carefully. I used all scraps except for the lining for my tote bag. It made no dent whatsoever in what I have either in my cupboards or my scrap bins. Goodness knows I have no need for more fabric. I had brought enought to keep myself busy and planned not to shop at all.
We walked to the first shop and I checked out a nice selection of sale fabrics. I liked a couple of them, but walked right on by. I meandered around in the shop admiring and touching a few. Others were taking bolt after bolt up to the counter to have varying amounts cut and I was feeling so proud of my self restraint. Then I found it..... A beautiful Jo Morton. Light and perfect for a background of a miniature quilt. I picked that up and then it was all over. I went around and started picking up all the fabrics I had been admiring and had dismissed. It's like I can resist if there isn't anything amazing, but as soon as I find one thing to buy my mind says "why not more". Here is the fabric I ended up with from the 2 shops where we stopped. After my first day's break I didn't see much point in abstaining on the second. I also got 4 skeins of sock yarn and a fat 8th of green wool for a project I am wanting to start.
How do you shop? Do you find that when you start you keep on going? There must be something that keeps us all adding and adding to our stashes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I have a few of those fabrics so we must have similar taste. Because we don't have many quilt shops in UK ( and none really local to me ) if I see something I like I buy it - may never see it again. I gave up smoking 7 years ago so I figure I don't spend as much as I did then on cigarettes and it is a much nicer addiction - lol !

3:32 AM  
Blogger dee said...

hi Tami, thanks for stopping by. Next time we head to Maine I'll let you fill me in. We were going to Knight's Quilt shop but didn't make it. Sorry I missed that one since I saw pics of it in a magazine I just got.
My taste in fabric is very eclectic. I like everything and the closet shows it. As soon as my new sewing room is finished I'll catch up with the many projects I've got waiting.

8:07 AM  
Blogger suz said...

I can truly relate...my quilt bee went on a retreat to Chester VT a couple of weeks ago. I was bound & determined not to buy anything. We stopped at several shops on the way and I left one shop empty-handed, spent $3.95 on a sale pattern in another shop, found 2 great books at a terrific price ($3 each, I think), and feeling very proud of myself went into the shop in Chester. I bought a couple of fat quarters and then went out on the porch to wait. After a relatively long time, I went in to find out what my pals were up to and found a panel I've been looking for - purchased it and went back to the porch...went back in to find out if the ladies were ready, helped one girl match some fabrics and was about to leave when someone pointed out another terrific panel and a batik made just for the Vermont shop hops - 3 purchases in one store, that I kept leaving! so much for good intentions!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Yup, I'm like that too. When the purse is closed, it stays closed, but if I open it just a bit, then it is all over.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Comfort Cove Designs said...

Fabrics have a way of suckering you into buying them!!

Nice haul you brought home!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home