My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, June 01, 2009

i'm a farmer


Here is a picture of the new little farm in my kitchen. I have started a worm composting system to both fertilize my garden and avoid putting compost material into plastic bags and into a landfill. DH had a problem with having a compost pile in the yard (more of a problem having it on the counter until someone took it out). He's not terribly thrilled with this either, but it doesn't smell bad and I guess he decided it was a lesser evil. I am excited and hope this works out well. I'll keep you all informed.
My stashbusting seems to have come to a standstill. I haven't even been into my sewing room all week.
fabric in this week: 0
fabric out this week: 0
fabric in ytd: 21.75
net fabric out ytd: 6.125

6 Comments:

Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

I forget how the worm composting works; do you put your kitchen veggie leftovers in there?

8:18 AM  
Blogger Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Interesting! I compost yard waste, but never remember to take the kitchen trash out there. This does seem like a good alternative. Please be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

That looks like a very professional set-up. I became a 'worm farmer' at the beginning of the year. My herd has increased to the point that I think I need to get them a bigger bin *s*

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I farm worms too! I have even started to get my friends into worm composting! I love it and I hope to someday let most of them out in my garden!

1:37 AM  
Blogger Conni said...

Is this little bin something you have made, or did you buy the set-up??? I have always wanted to be a worm farmer!!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Carole said...

Sound like a great idea. We have a small container that we purchased from William Sonoma to keep our scraps. I line it with one of those vegetable bags. When its full, I grab the bag and empty it in the pile outside. The bag gets thrown in the garbage. I don't know that we've had problems with animals. Maybe we have and I just haven't notices! ;o) We do live out in the country. Thanks for sharing!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home