My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, August 31, 2009

gardening

It feels like fall these last couple of days and I'm a little disappointed with my vegetable garden yield. This has been a horrible year for gardening in Maine. In June we had a record setting month for rain. My garden seemed to handle it in good shape. Things started to flourish and I commented on all of the tiny tomatoes we had coming. Two days later my tomatoes started dying from the bottom up and I am going to be lucky if we get more than a couple. The only thing that is doing really well is cucumbers. I pick anywhere from 6 to 12 in a day from 6 plants. Figures that what is doing the best is something that can't be preserved. I could make pickles, but I don't like them and DH shouldn't have all of that sodium so I've been giving them away. People at work are happy, but I'm not getting any tomato sauce this year.
When my mom died my friends from one of our clients sent me a planting arrangement of lily bulbs and ferns. They sure have grown. I couldn't believe 2 years later how tall they are. Just gorgeous. I planted some day lilies and hosta around them this year to expand the garden. Those need a little time to fill in, but it's going to be beautiful. I had to post a picture to show my friends in Wisconsin how nice everything looks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Callie Brady said...

Hope your garden is more productive next year. The lily and hosta bed is looking good! How is the worm composting project coming along?
Happy late birthday greetings! The socks and things you have made are lovely.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home