My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

the knitting zone

I finished my first project for June. I just love this yarn and can't wait to wear the socks. As soon as I finished this pair, I started another. It will probably be my second finish. I'm doing 2 at a time and going like crazy. I have always knit in spurts and I seem to be in the knitting zone.
I find knitting a great stress reliever. Our lives have been very stressful lately. DH was in New Jersey all last week. His 86 year old mother had emergency surgery to repair damage caused by a colonoscopy that perforated her colon. She was fine right after she came out of the anesthesia, but within a day her lungs filled with fluid and she had to be put on a ventilator. When they took her off she was breathing on her own, but then her lungs collapsed. She went downhill rapidly from there and died early Tuesday morning.
Poor DH was exhausted when he got home. He had been up nights at the hospital and picking up catch as catch can meals. Not terribly nutritious. The first thing he did when he got home was to have a big salad for dinner. After his pneumonia earlier this year the Dr. told him to he had to get his blood pressure and cholesterol down. He told him he should read the book Eat to Live and drastically change his diet. He immediately lost 30 pounds, dropped his blood pressure and his cholesterol levels are way down. He had been doing so well that he really noticed the difference when he wasn't eating right. We are both desperately in need of some down time. We were hoping to go for a motorcycle ride this weekend, but now it looks like rain all weekend. Bummer. We'll have to come up with something else fun.

8 Comments:

Blogger Conni said...

The socks are beautiful! Glad you have something that lets you relax!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

How sad - best wishes to your family x

11:21 AM  
Blogger floribunda said...

So sorry for your loss and the stress that came with it. Your socks are beautiful -- what yarn is that? I have the book on doing two at a time, but I still really like using double-points rather than circular needles...

1:22 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother in law. I have used knitting as a stress reliever too...my middle son is epileptic. When he moved out of our house (and his meds out of my control!) BAM he had a seizure. The 1st thing I grab is my knitting...and in AZ I don't knit very often! I usually get ALOT done on those ER trips. Fortunately, I have not had to grab the knitting bag in over a year. I hope you get some good down time. Hug each other!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Oh dear -I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your MIL. Socks are the perfect knitting project: great stress relievers, the right size for carry around work, and a useful gift.

8:23 AM  
Blogger suz said...

I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss. What a terrible thing to happen. Hopefully your husband's health will be back on track now that he is home. I hear we are supposed to finally come out of this dreary weather by the end of the week and the heat that the midwest has had will be coming to us. We can only hope.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I'm so sorry for your loss....will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Your socks are wonderful....hope you get some sunshine soon. I'm sorta feeling like a duck....I think my toes are growing webs. Take care of you and hubby. :)

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home