My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Friday, September 18, 2009

where i grew up

We went to visit my dad the other day and I took some pictures so I could show everyone where I grew up. My parents lived in the same house almost their entire marriage. It is down on the coast in Maine. Mostly cottages and summer homes, down a long dirt road. We were the only year-round family there. Growing up I hated it. It was isolated and I didn't have anyone to play with except my sister. There weren't any other children on our road so my sister and I had to walk 3/4 of a mile to catch the bus. I tend to be a type A personality, always trying to be on time or early. My sister, on the other hand, was more laid back. I remember many times running the last few yards as the bus was waiting and us arguing because she was making me late. :D
Here is the view from the front deck. We would walk along the shoreline and see how far we could get before we couldn't go any further. That sand bar through the trees was also a great playground. I remember going out with our cousins and we would each draw floor plans of houses in the sand and create a little village. We would play "house" for a while visiting each other, but we would quickly lose interest in that. The fun was in the designing. My kids and niece and nephew LOVED playing out there as well. My niece and nephew named the rocky outcropping on the left of the picture Survivor Island when the TV show came out. They would go out and play "survivor".
I'm not sure what's going to happen with the property. My dad can't physically stay there winters anymore and we're not really comfortable with him so there in the summer either. Difficult how fast things change as you get older.

3 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Isn't it funny how a spot that once felt isolating can become the ideal *s* Looks like a wonderful place to have grown up.

4:51 PM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

Some of my best memories growing up were from times spent on the beach! Looks like a beautiful spot...

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jackie's Stitches said...

It sounds like a wonderful place to grow up. Love the view!

We're thinking of vacationing in Maine next year because we've never been there.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home