My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

i need help

I knew when I did it it would be a challenge, but I just couldn't resist. I mean could you resist those faces? We were having a REALLY rough year, my mom was sick, we moved, my son had gone off to college and my daughter had to move to far away Denver because the ballet company she was with had closed. I was walking through a fog and my husband felt a pet would really help. I grew up with cats and had them all my life until our son was diagnosed with allergies 16 years ago. He had just left and I really needed a pet. We decided against a dog since we are at work 10 or more hours a day and started searching shelters for one short haired kitten. I had found one online a couple of towns away and we were on our way to see him when we decided, before making the trip, we would check our local shelter one more time. There was a litter of 5 in one cage, all so adorable. Dusky chose me first. He put his head on my shoulder, started purring and fell asleep. Then, I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but Misty was coming too. We decided that while we were at work they could keep each other company.
I have been so happy that we got both except for one thing... cat hair. It's everywhere. The quilt I finished and put on the bed last week already has little cat hair balls sticking to it everywhere. Every day when I make the bed I pick them off. The quilts hanging on the wall. It floats up as they run by and sticks. Forget polar fleece. All of our jackets have it permanently wound into the fibers from laundering. We have tumbleweeds floating around all the time. I swear I could vacuum hourly and it would still be in everything. Don't get me wrong, I would not trade either of my babies for a thing in the world, I am just hoping that out there somewhere there is someone who might have a suggestion as to how I could minimize the shedding. Anyone have similar problems? What has worked for you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

We have 3 cats and one of ours moults like nobodies business. I have to brush him a lot to stop this. He doesn't particularly like it but always gets a nice little treat afterwards. As yours are young they should get used to it fairly easily. I also get through loads of those sticky roller things too. Good luck - they are gorgeous.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I love kitties too but our son is very allergic to cats too and would have to medicate himself just to come here so no cat for me.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Howdy said...

Before we moved from MA to PA we had 2 cats and 2 dogs in the house and FUR everywhere. My daughter kept her cats when she moved to an apartment and we took the dogs with us. In this house the dogs are limited to the kitchen and laundry room.

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy not having FUR all over my house... I don't cringe when I drop fabric on the floor in my studio on the 3rd floor... fur doesn't migrate that far!

I wish you luck on finding a way to keep up - your vacuum will be your best friend I'm sure.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Our pets are the best, aren't they? I think you just have to take a 'can't beat 'em - join 'em' attitude. I feel as though I am covered in dog hair and thread all of the time. We have lint rollers strategically placed throughout the house and in both cars. We have a Dyson vacuum which seems to pull up more fur than others we've had. It can be frustrating - but I wouldn't give back a moment for a fur-free life *s*

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I'm with Libby "can't beat em." I quilt looking for solutions, but my furniture is the color of cat fur. :o)

You are right about the polar fleece - & if I keep mine out on the sofa - it becomes a cat bed!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home