My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

what do you think?

I have been in quite a slump lately. Lots of changes at work and just no motivation at home. I did absolutely nothing last weekend and then felt bad all week because nothing got accomplished. One of the things that keeps me doing nothing after work is dinner. DH gets home between 4 and 5 and I get home anywhere from 6 to 7:30. I usually come through the door, drop everything and flop on the couch. Then the conversation goes something like this... me -"What do you want for dinner?" DH- "What do we have?" me - "Well....." and I list what is in the fridge. DH - "I don't care. What do you want?" me - "Whatever you want to make." This leads us to eating out a lot more that we would like. I tried to get control of this issue today. I just finished 3 hours at the cook stove making Shepard's pie, a big pot of spaghetti sauce and goulash tami style. . Tomorrow I'm going to slice up the steak I bought today and marinate that for a stir fry. That will pretty much cover the week and all the prep work is going to be done. :-D Maybe I will get some quilting or knitting done in the evenings. I still have PIF gifts to make. I have been trying hard to think of something really cool. It will come to me.
I feel really good about today. Not only did I get the grocery shopping and all that cooking done I also made 3 blocks to audition for the start of this Round Robin I have joined. We are supposed to think of a theme. I used Civil War reproductions so I'm trying to think of a theme to go with. I would love ideas. Which do you like best?

13 Comments:

Blogger Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, good for you! I hope your week is just as productive. Personally, the jacob's ladder block is my favorite.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know just what you mean Tami - when I ask my DH what he'd like for dinner he just says 'Food' - I don't necessarily want him to make it, it'd just be nice every now and then for someone else to make the decision. My secret is I have a largish freezer and never cook single meals of anything - that way I freeze the leftovers in meal sized portions and bring them out on busy days (which is most of them to be honest) then I just have potatoes, veg or pasta/rice to cook from fresh which doesn't take as long - works for me, as I work term-time I'll often do a huge pot cooking session on bolognaise sauce, chilli or casserole and freeze lots of meals ready for term time nights - the last thing you want to do when you come in from a busy working day is set to and cook a full meal

6:00 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

My son does the cooking at their house because he works at home and their solution was to plan menus. He likes cooking but hates planning what to make. The menu helps with shopping too.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Cooking ahead is a great way to help end that 'What's for dinner' debacle. Also I used to put up a weekly menu on the fridge - helps get everyone in the mood for what's coming and they might even help get things started *s*
I've never done a round robin but it sounds fun.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I like your little sawtooth star block best

4:32 PM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

I have great intentions of cooking ahead and being that organized, but I rarely succeed at it. My solution was to purchase some meals from "Let's Dish" - a store that does what I can't seem to do. I'm willing to pay! :-)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I have found that making a menu and posting it on the fridge help a lot. CarGuy and I make the menu together at breakfast on Sunday morning and then go shopping in the afternoon for the little things that are needed. This has not only cut down on eating out, but has saved on the grocery bill too. I'm a fan of star blocks so guess which on I like?

5:17 PM  
Blogger Juliann in WA said...

I have to do some preplanning or we would eat out too. I try to do that planning before going to the store so I will have what we need too. And I also try to do that precooking thing too. It reallyl does help when you don't have to begin from scratch every day.
I like the star block - it is one of my all time favorite blocks.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I like the menu idea, but haven't gotten around to it. So I too wonder What's For Dinner? when I'm hungry. Generally find something in the kitchen though. I keep fast foods like spaghetti, soup and frozen entrees so it isn't too hard to get something quick and easy. Good for you for preplanning and making all those meals!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have trouble with pre-planning meals. I can seem to think about dinners more than 2 days ahead. I find the hardest part is decided what to make. If DH would tell me what to cook then I find it easier but that never happens. Some nights dinner is very light.
Cute blocks you are making.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I'm getting reacquainted with my crockpot. Yesterday I put in a nice round roast, a packet of dried onion soup mix, a can of cream/mushroom soup, and a little left over wine. The house smelled amazing when I came home. Thickened the juice with cornstarch. Sometimes I put vegentables in the crock pot, too, to make things even easier.

8:02 AM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

Good for you for doing all of that cooking ahead. The blocks are pretty, love the floral backgrounds.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

It's a great thing to grab something out of the freezer when you aren't in the mood to cook. I often do spag bol sauce and freeze it. I always have small pizza bases in the freezer, and pasta in the cupboard - they are my standbys for when I need a fast meal. I also use the BBQ a fair bit - no washing up the frying pan.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home