My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, September 24, 2007

más vale tarde que nunca

Four years of high school Spanish and my most vivid memory is our teacher telling a story about how it is much better to be late than never. Well the story wasn't about unpacking, but it applies here.
Judy posted in August about moving 8 months ago and still not being finished unpacking. This started me thinking that we have been here for over 13 months and we haven't finished unpacking. That and the fact that we have a man coming to move the undersized propane heater from my sewing room into this room and install a larger heater in the sewing room so I can sew next winter without freezing, finally got me moving. I really wish I had taken a picture before I started because believe it or not this is a HUGE improvement. I keep pointing out to DH how much better it is since we put in all that work. He laughs at me and says there is still a long way to go. I'm trying to be optimistic. There were boxes stacked to the ceiling with a path between. Now most of the boxes are at least partially empty and there is plenty of room for the heater guy to get in there to install the heater on Friday. When this room gets completely cleared out we are going to move the computers into here along with a futon and build bookshelves so it can be an office/library.
DH was not enjoying putting things away at all. When I mentioned some shelving he had said he was going to build for my glass storage jars that I had temporarily put on the mantle he very graciously offered to build those instead of unpack. :-) Funny how that worked. I'm not going to complain though. I'm just going to fill the shelves when the paint is completely dry. He still has to build the cabinet doors, but I think this is the fastest he has ever built a cabinet. Wonder if I had finished unpacking the boxes on the first day if he would have gotten as far along as he did. ;-)

8 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I had a jar Like the small ones-- My high school daughter dropped it...I tried to be adult, but I was struggling. Very cool. Just keep thinking how great it will be when it's done....

8:22 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Your special spaces (sewing and office) are wonderful, can't wait to see them done.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Sweet P said...

Well, you've made a start on the unpacking. Hopefully it won't take another 13 months to finish.

7:58 PM  
Blogger atet said...

Great work -- I think there are STILL boxes I haven't been through and we moved in 5 years ago (not many, and a few I knew I wasn't going to open any time soon, but still).

Great work -- and hey, you got some great shelves!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Tiny steps and it will get done eventually! Next time I move, I'm selling or giving away everything and buying all new stuff . . no more unpacking for me. (I hope you don't believe that!)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

The shelves look great - and the paint. I'm trying to reduce my load - boxes that have been sitting in the basement and garage forever, just general reduction of my collections, so that when I do get around to moving, it will be an easier job.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

The only thing worse than unpacking is packing *s* Love your jar collection - I hope you share a new photo when they are safely in their new shelving home.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I often think that a box left unpacked for a long time may have stuff in it that you don't really need! I moved 2 years ago, and before I left the old house (10yrs there) I managed to throw away a fair bit of stuff. At the end I just lost the plot so everything left was packed and moved. Recently I turned the house upside down looking for a book, and used the opportunity to throw away the rest of the stuff I brought with me that really should have gone out before! I'm trying really hard in this house to not collect heaps of stuff. Your jars look good on their new shelves.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home