My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

and a good time was had by all

This year's mystery ride ended on a much better note. No broken pump and plenty of water. We did all new quilt shops except for one repeat.
We started at Isamax bakery for some breakfast and coffee. One of the girls bought one of the 5 lb. whoopie pies. While we were there we picked up some Whoop-de-doo's for dessert at lunch. From there it was a short drive to our first shop, Mystic Maine Quilts. I hadn't been to that shop before. It was cute, but very crowded with the 10 of us in there all at once. The shop had graciously opened an hour early for us. I'm sure we made it worth their while.
From there we went to Marden's. I had to take this picture because it struck me as funny. Everyone lined up in a row on the bench waiting for those of us who are perpetually slower. With all the Halloween decorations they reminded me of pumpkins lined up on a wall.
By the time we were finished there we were all starving so we went to a picnic area on Sebago Lake and had a great picnic. Jan and I were the only ones who knew where we were going since the others on the committee hadn't been able to go on the trip. So far no one had guessed any of our stops until we were almost there. Next, we hit The Calico Basket and then on to Cotton Weeds. As we were heading to Cotton Weeds we passed a yarn and needlework shop and some of the girls wanted to go. The proprietor of Cotton Weeds was nice enough to call them and see how late they were open. They were closing in 10 minutes, but said they would stay open for us to come over and shop.
After a while there we picked up pizza and headed to my house. This year no one knew we were coming to my house. They didn't even know I had been invited as I don't live there anymore, but when they were discussing the trip Heather said it would be fun to invite me. Jan was so excited. It made the secret of where we were ending up much easier to keep. Jan had everyone convinced that they were going to camp out. :-D We had show and tell of all our purchases, played games and stitched until everyone dropped.
Sunday morning we got up and had a class. I had drawn up a little wool table mat for fall. Jan had brought all the supplies from her shop Stitches for everyone to make one. Most everyone either finished or came really close.
A couple of people were ready to leave after the class so they left and the rest of us played some more games for a while until everyone else headed out around 12:30.
I know the burning question in all of your minds is what did I buy. I ended up with 11 yards of fabric and a new Jan Patek book. I also won a round of Left Right Center and received 15 fat quarters. Like I needed more fabric. ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Sounds youhad a lot of fun! ANd I love to see a bit of your house. WOw your basket collection is so lovely!

1:41 AM  
Blogger May Britt said...

What a great day you had. I wish we had more close quiltshops here in Norway so we could go on such a trip............... Ouuuuch ...that would be very expensive for me LOL
The little tablemat is so cut. Reminds me that I have nothing with pumpkins on in my house, and I love pumpkins :)

2:20 AM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

Your post is making me so homesick this morning!! I love those whoopie pies! Hope you had one for me!

3:09 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I didn't need to know about whoopie pies.......*sigh* Are those peanut butter ones good, they look yummy......LOL Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love the table mat you made. very cute. http://www.redgeraniumcottage.typepad.com

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home