My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

i'm cooking now

I think I was born into the wrong time. Most of my friends think I'm crazy, but I really do enjoy cooking on my wood cook stove. I'm not sure if it is the fact that it is a challenge or that I am conserving energy by using the same heat for the house that is cooking our food. Until we moved here my cook stove had been in storage because our last house didn't have a place for it, but I wasn't about to give it up because I never knew if I would be able to find another in as good condition. When we were looking at houses for this move a place for the cook stove was a requirement. I can't cook on it as often as I did before I had a full time job, but on weekends, if it is cool enough I light a fire and cook ahead for the week. This weekend it was chicken parmesan and a ham. I have to tell you, a ham, turkey or chicken cooked in the wood oven is much better than a conventional oven.
Tonight, when I got home, DH had a fire going because the last few days have been pretty chilly. So I made balsamic chicken with rice and vegetables and heated myself at the same time.
Here is my built in jar storage all filled. Libby had asked for a picture when the jars were in. The cabinet doors still aren't on, but I'm not holding my breath for that. The doors are DH's least favorite part and I know from experience that it could be sitting like this for quite some time. I don't even think that asking him to help unpack will get them finished. :-D

12 Comments:

Blogger keslyn said...

Oh you can't beat cooking dinner in front of a wood stove on a chilly evening, pity it is too far to pop over, dinner sounds yummy.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

OK -- we defnitely need a recipe here....Your stove is a treasure... love the jars... I bet you can't wait to get home every evening....

7:28 AM  
Blogger Lindah said...

Your stove is beautiful! Your jar storage is nice as is, without doors. Dinner sounds yummy!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

Oh I don't have one of these anymore but when at my Mum's I loved cooking on a wood stove.......nothing beats it.......

8:29 PM  
Blogger Patriot said...

How cool! I'd love to try cooking on one!

I just came across your blog. Just wanted to let you know that I host a free giveaway every week on my blog for high quality, American made products. I don't make any money off of this, I just want to see more attention given to these products and more jobs stay in America.

I'm trying to spread the word! Come check it out!

Thank you!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

I'm right there with you . . . I've always felt I was born after my time. What fun to cook meals on your stove. It's the little things like that that would just send me over the moon. Don't get me wrong, convenience is great - like the computer that lets me communicate with blogger friends - but still the simplest of things really are appealing. *sigh* Those jars look fantastic in their new home.

11:21 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

What a great storage system. If I got to design my own house I would put in a kitchen pantry like the one my aunt had in her old victorian house. I loved the look of it, the practicality of it, and of course the smell of it (stored all her baking stuff in there!)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Sweet P said...

Can I come over for dinner? I've never cooked on a wood stove and it sounds like fun. Your jar storage pantry turned out wonderful.

PS - I like the designs you made for Judy's challenge.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Your stove is beautiful!! I remember an old stove in an antique mall when I was with Bonnie to Paducah.I stood behind it and dreamed about cooking. You did it in reality! I can almost smell your cooking from the picture :-)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

How cool that you cook on that beautiful stove! I bet the food turns out great and that you are a super cook.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

What an amazing stove! You would be a great candidate for that reality show on PBS where you have to live the life of a person living a hundred years ago. 1800 House? I think that was what it was called.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Gypsy Quilter said...

What a beautiful stove. I've heard that short bread baked in a wood stove is the best ever. How many people did it take to move it?

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home