My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

the good, the bad and the ugly

the good........
I'm back from Denver and had a wonderful weekend. When planning for our move I had invited my quilting group in the town I moved from to come and see our new house when we got settled. Before I left it turned into a plan for a weekend mystery ride and retreat. A couple of the girls and I were the planning committee and I think we did a good job if I do say so myself.
DH decided to decamp for the weekend (can't imagine why) and stayed at the old house to do winterizing chores along with DS. He drove me to my friend's and we got everything together for the weekend. We met everyone else, 9 total including me, at 7 the next morning. We split up into 3 cars and started off on our adventure. First stop was a bakery to get breakfast and pick up the dessert for that evening. Next stop a small rural quilt shop. We had called ahead and had her open early for us. It is a very small shop and it's a good thing there weren't other customers since we pretty much took over the space. She did do quite well though, since I think we spent over 1000 dollars between the 9 of us. We had a little trouble getting everyone out on time, but half an hour late we continued on our way.
Next stop was lunch (notice how prominently food plays into all plans). I had found a small burrito place with good reviews in a shopping center that had other choices in case someone was opposed to burritos. Turns out everyone was amenable to that so we all ate together. It was very good and as it is close to my house I think DH and I will probably start going there when neither of us feels like cooking. We thought we were running behind, but as it turned out the burritos were so fast we arrived at our next stop a little early. We had arranged a class at the quilt shop closest to my house and we all made the tops for felted wool pin cushions. It was great fun and we ended the "out" portion of our day with more shopping.
When we arrived at my house my friend had premade chili and I had made some bread in my bread machine. We put her chili on to heat while we had "show and tell". Everyone showed all their purchases and we had a prize for the person who had been the most frugal. We figured that the people who had spent the most didn't need a fat quarter bundle. :oD After eating we played a couple of games of LCR with fat quarters and Pictionary with quilt block names as the clues. It was great fun and we laughed so hard at some of the "unique" drawings. Can you figure out what quilt block this represents???
Everyone sat around and worked on their individual projects until bed.

the bad.......
One of the girls revealed that she had found my blog online a while ago and had been reading it and looking at pictures of my round robin rounds. INCLUDING her own. You know who you are. Bad, bad girl. You are ruining your own surprise. :oP

the ugly......
After we woke up on Sunday morning and we were starting our day all of a sudden we had no water. No bathroom, no coffee, and no washing dishes. It sort of put a damper on our morning. We did have enough bottled water to finish making coffee and tea, but people had to go to a nearby gas station to use the bathroom. The party broke up about noon and DH came home to see what he could do to help the situation. It turned out to be the motor on the pump had died. We tried replacing that, but it was old and on so hard that DH had damaged the pump getting it off. We ended up having to replace the entire pump. Let me tell you, you don't realize how many different things you use water for in a day until you go to use it and it isn't there. I never noticed how many times a day I washed my hands until I couldn't.

18 Comments:

Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Yep, that's when the handwashing gel comes in handy! After a weekend of using the hand wipes and/or gel on the breast cancer walk I was glad to get back to soap and water.

2:41 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

sorry the party broke up early, but at least you got some party in....

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monkey wrench! (I would ask for a prize, but my prize will be to appreciate running water!)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Gosh, that sounds like a great weekend. Kudos to the planners for coming up with so many fun things *s* It's too bad it ended a little rough with the pump -- but that part will be forgotten by everyone in short order, far outweighed by the fun from the rest of the weekend.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Sounds like a great (and well-planned) time, except for the water. I was going to guess monkey wrench, but then with the wrench drawn first, maybe something else????

11:47 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

What an awesome weekend, Tami!! I wanna come play!! :D

12:15 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Sounds like a good time with friends. Too bad about the water, but it is more endurable when friends share the experience.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Hey, you were in Denver at the same time I was Tami. Maybe we passed each other at the airport! Well, here's a belated wave from me.
It sounds like you were having a great time at the retreat. Glad you had fun. Sorry about the water problems. We had water main breaks several times on our street a few years ago. It would break - they would fix it, it would break farther down the street. So I completely understand how much you depend on water.
Glad you are back with running water.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Actualy, now that I look back on your older posts, comments on your blog is how I thought about doing, and managed to meet Paula the Quilter. She graciously showed me around the area.
So thank you for the idea. And for the connection.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

I was going to aask you what the block was but I see Amy came up with that answer--sure doesn't look much like a monkey. Poor girl was rushing and is probably a much better quilter than sketch artist.

Sounds like a terrific time was had by all in spite of the water problems--that would happen with a houseful of company!

3:57 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I had to laugh at you saying the "lack of water put a damper on our morning" - wouldn't it be "lack of water put a dry-er on our morning?"

*giggles*

Sounds like a fun weekend even if it was a little dry!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

So that's the pump culprit? Glad it was fixed so quickly!

4:18 AM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Too much fun! The pump only means everyone will remember it more-it's like the fabric 'risk' you put in quilts-it makes it stand out! Also pleased to see someone draws like me!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

Sounds like a great get-together!!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Very creative and lots of work went into that gathering. How fun!

11:17 PM  
Blogger MARCIE said...

What great fun you all had! sorry about the water glitch. I bet the pump was working over time.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

sorry about the pump, but the weekend sounded fun!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Other than the pump, it sounds like you had a great time! Organizing really does pay off! And me - well I bought an EXTRA pump to keep on the shelf in case my pump ever breaks - my plumber thought I was plumb crazy to do such a thing, but since we live in a rural area it could easily take over 3 days to get a new one -no thanks! I KNOW about pumps breaking down! Nothing like losing your water.

Cheers!

Evelyn

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home