My Photo
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

they broke my baby!

Last Thursday I got a message from DS, who, if you have been reading my blog you know we dropped at college for preseason football on August 16th. "Mom.... This is your son. Broke my leg. I'll call you later." Then a couple of minutes later same deadpan voice "Mom.... The trainer thought that was a really mean message to leave so.... I broke my fibula. It's a non-weight bearing bone. I might not even need a cast. I can't play football for 6 weeks. Love you. Bye." Now if you knew DS you would know that he is no stranger to broken bones, one arm once, the other arm twice, right leg once and minor finger dislocations and breaks and now a left leg to add to the collection. Last year our football season consisted of football game on Friday night, ice over the weekend, x-ray Monday morning then to the Dr. for diagnosis, taping, whatever. The Dr. had stopped even making us come to the office before the x-ray. We would call him and he would call the order over to the hospital and we would just bring it to the office with us to cut down on time. So with this history you can imagine I was quite immune to the panic. It was the next message that really made my stomach drop. "Mom. I might not be able to be in the regiment..." Now here was a real problem. The regiment is required for the program he signed up for and we had just paid a small fortune for him to attend. Since DS had learned this from "some woman in the hall at the dorm. I think she is the RA" (DS has never been big on details in real life. It amazes me how he can know every detail of a band, it's members, songs they performed and dates they were released, but can't be bothered to find out when an assignment is due) I called the school to find out the real story and what his real options were. Well after back and forth for most of the day I was told that he really only had 2 options, leave and come back next year or go this year, take his academic classes, but not be in the regiment until next year and do a missed cruise after graduation. Not ideal, but setting him back only 2 months instead of a year. We called DS that night to discuss his options with him and he decided he wanted to come home to talk about it. So off to college DH drove on Friday after work to pick him up. By the time DH got there DS had really already decided to stay, but he wanted to come home to pack his clothes himself. Since the regiment required uniforms (another small fortune) that he will not be qualified to wear he brought those home and had to get his street clothes. New problem, we thought he was going to be wearing uniforms so he had pretty much worn all of his regular clothes to work in and most weren't really fit for school. So Saturday off shopping we went for new clothes, new sheets, since we decided to save the white, regimental, non-fitted ones for next year and a different non-regimental backpack that could carry both his laptop and books since he is going to be having enough trouble getting around as it is. Then Sunday morning bright and early back to college we went to hopefully drop him off for good this time. Needless to say there was no quilting, no unpacking, nothing productive done this weekend. I suppose it was productive that we have him ready for college AGAIN, but I thought we had already done that so it didn't feel like progress. That made 4 - 6+ hour round trips to college in 11 days. Since college is only a 3 hour round trip from our other house DH dryly commented on the way home "Boy, I'm so glad we moved closer to work so I won't have to drive so much." Sometimes you just have to have a sense of humor. :c)


Blogger Melzie said...

Aww well at least you guys are smiling :) I have a 4 yr old DS who I think will be like yours. At 4 he already broke his arm, broke his leg, has a permanent scar on his cheek (looks like a dimple) and has had numerous stitches and bandaids. Life isnt boring though! Hope all works out for him :) xoxo melzie

9:25 AM  
Blogger Screen Door said...

I can just imagine your panic--- Oh it's hard on Momma's. Hope thinks cheer up for him. A girl would be thrilled over new clothes :).


9:36 AM  
Blogger Linda_J said...

oh, my---what an unbelievable change of events for all of you.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

you certainly have a busy life at the moment. No wonder you haven't had time to do anything quilty.
Hope your son will be okay.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Oh Tami - I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. Who would have thunk it, right? Though it sounds like it's not totally unexpected with his history of broken bones. At least 2 months behind isn't the end of the world.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Well, at least it sounds like you all have a good relationship. You have to be flexible... My sister has 3 boys - all with bone disease and they are constantly breaking bones - I mean, just riding a bike and going over a bump will break a wrist, a bad cough will break a rib, a fall will fracture a skull...! I am convinced that my sister has nerves of steel - she keeps an emergency bag packed and not much seems to faze her. Glad that your son broke a "small" leg bone though because it will heal much faster.





1:21 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

sounds like its going well all things considered, but really, if you don't consider all the things it could have been, its not so great.... Hang in there, hopefully you wont have to make another trip to hte college for a while :-)

6:06 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow, what a saga! I'm glad there was a way to save his program, but you must have had a few bad hours in there.

9:38 PM  
Blogger EileenKNY said...

Our son was on a first name basis with the local ER until he graduated HS.
It's hard though, to be so far away when you want to hold them. Good to see it will only be a minor setback. If I'm not being too nosy, what branch of the service is he working toward?

8:21 AM  
Blogger JudyL said...

Oh, what a mess! Seems like DS is taking it all pretty much in stride. My son is the same way -- I am amazed at the things he remembers and get furious at the things he forgets!

I hope it all works out for you and your son.

Judy L.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Katjaquilt said...

Oh what a pitty for your son. I keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out fine for him.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh Tami you have had your hands full with the move and now this. I hope things calm down for awhile and you are able to catch your breath. I will keep your son in our thoughts that he is able to adjust to his new schedule and things will go smoothly for him!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Oh my goodness what a weekend. Glad he is okay, but soory he has to put his plans on hold for a bit. But at least he back in school and ready to begin! It will get better soon!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Good thing that trainer made him call back and elaborate :-). Can't believe how complicated that broken bone got; you all sound so calm. Glad there was a way to keep him in the program.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home