My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, September 04, 2006

what a difference a weekend at home makes!

No trip to DS's school this weekend! :o)
Other than trips to buy supplies we stayed home and worked all 3 days. There are still a few boxes in each room and although we are far from finished we have made some serious progress.
Here is a picture of my sewing room. This is where we made the most headway. DH put nails in the beams for me so I could hang baskets and such. He also had the great idea of running an extension cord up the wall and over the beam to hang down right over my iron. It's going to be great to have it right there. I have refolded all of my fabrics the way suggested in the book Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space: and organized them by color. I have found that with the new folding method I would even have room for more fabric. :cD I'm going to try and refrain after falling off the August no-buy wagon. I bought a few yards at Marden's on the way back from taking DS back to college. I told DH we should stop and check out Marden's since we hadn't been in a while. I did truly forget. They had some repro's that I really liked so I just picked them up and didn't even remember I wasn't going to buy anything until we were about half way home. Oh well, I didn't buy much. I just missed out on my gold star.

15 Comments:

Blogger Finn said...

Hi Tami,your sewing room is coming along so well!!

I love the baskets hanging like that. You can get to them to use, and they aren't in the way other times..Great idea!

Sorry to hear about DS's injury. Having had a son in football, I guess that's what happens, but not music to our ears. Glad you had some time at home. Hugs, Finn

11:07 PM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

The room looks great. I LOVE Marden's!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

What a wonderfully organized sewing space! I love the addition of the baskets hung from the ceiling.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Looks like a nice big room, and I love the beams. It will be good to have it all sorted out

3:41 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I am sure it feels great to have your sewing room mostly unpacked and sorted out - ahhhh! It looks great!

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:42 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I have been amazed since your first photo of this space, and continue to be. It must be wonderful to have it freshly organized and almost ready to go.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I love your sewing room. The ironing area is great. I believe that one of the most importent steps ing quilting. You've got a great basket collection.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Tami,
Your sewing room is to die for!!!!
This picture is just a tease, right? Please, when you get a chance, post some more pics of your sewing area-it's right in there with the cabinets?

7:32 AM  
Blogger Melzie said...

I barely missed the star also, maybe we need like a purple star or something LOL. Your sewing room looks great, I want to see more pics! xoxo melzie

7:34 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

You will so love sewing in this room. You have such a wonderful collection of baskets and they are displayed so beautifully this way. Just make sure you use a heavy duty extension cord with your iron - regular extension cords aren't adequate for appliances that heat like an iron. I'm sure you know that already . . . but just in case. I'd hate to have your house burn down!

8:42 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

what a nice big open area for a sewing room. It looks very inviting.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Okay so when can I move in?? I am green with envy!! I really could have use that ironing area yesterday struggling to iron my finished top! Hard to do on a regular ironing board. The room looks fabulous and the cabinets work in there perfectly! I even love the little cubbies in the wall!

Looking very good!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Forgot to ask...what's *the* perfect way to fold your fabric?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

Looking good! Also a good chance to visit your stash and see what types or colors might be missing.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I had good intentions for sort through all my fabric before my move but I haven't made any progress. I'll have to consider this method of folding fabric when I set up my new studio. I've seen lots of stashes now where people have utlized it and they all look great! Very neat and organized.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home