My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

round three


I learned my lesson last time and did my round early this month. I have been trying very hard with each of my turns to do something so that the resulting quilt doesn't look like a center block with a layering of borders. I know that is sort of how a round robin works, but I have been trying to be creative so that it doesn't have that feel in the end. Since I had free reign this month I decided to set the block on point to break up the borders. I really liked the rounds that have been added to this one. It is all batiks and has such an elegant feel. I am hoping that mine adds to the overall personality of the finished quilt.
I have been contemplating making a small addition to my contribution. I am just not sure it would be in keeping what is going on. I think I am feeling guilty because this really didn't take me long and wasn't as much work as I put into the others. I was thinking of embroidering a small spider web with spider in metallic silver thread in the corner between the Seminole border and the pink strip in my corner. I still have a week and a couple days so I would have plenty of time. What do you think? It's really not a crazy quilt, but I was thinking it might be cute.

19 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I would leave it as it is... It does not need to be difficult. Besides, I think what you did really does add to the quilt.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree - often a busy quilt needs a quiet spot to rest the eye - having said that if I were on the receiving end of a round robin with a little spider in it's web in the corner I would be totally delighted with something so sweet and special :o)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

it looks fantastic so far--so what that it didn't take you too long to do, it looks very elegant.

I wish I could work up a little enthusiasm for what I need to do on the one I have but I cannot seem to get passed all that black--looks like Halloween.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Honestly - I'd leave it just like it is. Sometimes round robins come back looking way too busy because everyone thinks they have to do an elaborate border. Yours calms it down and really shows off the other borders that have already been added.

4:18 PM  
Blogger dot said...

Looks good, hard decision. IF you leave it that would work, if you do the spider web, that would work. Let us know.

5:51 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

Love the border you created. Having done a few RR's I can say, simple and easy does not detract from the overall. Either with or wihtout a spider would be fine, but don't do it out of guilt. Do it for the love of doing it, or leave it off as either will work...

8:23 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I think it looks great as is. I'm in the process of doing a RR right now, too ~ and some of them I have had required alot more than others. I try to be a no-guilt quilter as much as I can!! LOL

10:39 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

It's beautiful!

I think everyone can't do something detailed and complicated for all rounds of these quilts or it'd be a visual mess.

If you feel that you need to offer something else this round, why not take some of the fabric and piece a binding for her to use? How many rounds are left to go?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Kim West said...

I think that it looks great like it is... like the others, I think the quilt needs a spot to rest the eyes..

11:20 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

It looks like sunlight coming through a church window..I would not change a thing. If you are out strolling, look for a stained glass window, that's just what this reminds me of. Looks beautiful.
Melanie

6:20 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

It is a beautiful quilt and I really like the borders you put on and how you put the center on-point. I don't think there is a need to add more - unless you think the recipient would particularly like it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

That on point setting looks great- really pops the center!!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love it on point and I would leave it as is.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I think it looks great as it is. You picked a wonderful fabric, did a great job designing your addition, and provided a great place to rest the eyes without boring them. I'd just say what the others say, leave it as is. It doesn't look simple at all. It looks stylish.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

I don't think embroidery is only for crazy quilts. I use it in other quilts.

I do love what it is so far.

Rae

6:58 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Hi Tami, thanks for stopping over at my blog, Pieces. Yes, I have several of the Bialosky Bears. I would have more, but they decided to discontinue this smaller size, and I sure didn't want more that are bigger. So my collection of them remains at 4. All were gifts from my DD#1 when she first became a "working woman"...*VBS*

I have one bigger B. Bear from a friend, but he wasn't dressed in the theme, as the smaller ones are.
And I have quite a collection of Gund bears in various sizes. Way more than I actually have room for. But what do you do with them??? Most were gifts, and that kind of limits my ability to down-size them.
Love the RR, and I think your addition looks great. I think simple or less complex at this round is a good idea. It begins to need a foundation to anchor it, I think. No opinion on the spider web tho, I love them in quilts, but it's hard to tell with someone elses quilt.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

I think your round is absolutely lovely as it is. Leaves space for some quilting later too :-)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Very pretty, I like that you put the quilt on point with your round. I wouldn't feel guilty about it not being as much work. Simple is good!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I don't think it has to be difficult and time consuming to add something to the quilt. Your border makes the quilt much more visually appealing than another busy border would have.

So what did you do?

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home