My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, July 17, 2006

it's a mystery

I have been a fan of Debbie Caffrey since I bought the Open a Can of Worms book a few years ago. This year at the Maine Quilt show the weekend after next Debbie Caffrey is going to be a guest teacher. I was so excited I got a few friends together and we signed up for the Saturday class. We are making a mystery quilt. We got a list of fabrics needed and some instructions to start cutting. I like this selection of fabrics, but haven't gotten anything cut yet. We are supposed to have 5 fabrics from dark to light with high contrast. Mine aren't really high contrast, but I think that with the totally different colors I will be fine. I love this selection, but I had to really fight with myself to use them. The Red Rooster one in the middle is the only yard I have and I had it with another selection that I was going to make something out of. Back to the weird things about me... I am having a really hard time using all of it because then it will be gone. :-0
This is a mystery quilt that I designed from an block that I saw in the Nickle Quilts book and one of the M'liss Rae Hawley fat quarter books. I taught it in a class last year. It is in my UFO pile waiting for my longarm quilter to have time for it. She is a friend of mine and is backed up right now. I told her I was in no particular hurry so when she had time in her schedule to let me know and I would bring it over. We trade services. I keep her computers up and running and she does my longarm quilting. (o:
Our quilt meeting is tomorrow night. I decided not to add the embroidered spider to my Round 3. I can't wait to see what I have to work with for the next month. This round is 4. We were being funny when we decided on what to do for borders. We thought 4 would be fun. 4 anything: 4 inches, 4 squares, 4 stripes, 4 flowers. 4 cats. You get the idea.

14 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Nice trade... I think you've got the best end of the deal. Love the quilt.
Melanie

7:51 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Open a Can of Worms is a book I want to get! It seems that everyone who has this book really likes it!

It will be fun to make the mystery quilt with a group of friends. You will have to plan a "finishing" party - I like seeing all the different variations and changes choices of fabrics make.

Cheers!

Evelyn

8:16 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

relaxed rules on a round robin sounds like heaven--our organizer and I were butting heads about the one we are doing at the pass off. He is the one who said we could not shift things around on point as that was "changing the design" I loved what you did on the one you last worked on.

I love the top on the bed and will have to pull out my Caffrey books to see just what this one is called. I think I own 4 or 5 of them?

8:35 AM  
Blogger dot said...

Nice quilt on the bed. I like the colors and rhe pattern. Looks like you did a good job on that mystery.

8:40 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

its hard to use fabric from our collections isn't it. I've found that if I cut mine into smaller yardages, I'm ok with cutting it, but a "big piece"!-- no way I might need all of it for something! (shaking my head) Wonder if this is an illness I should be speaking with my doctor about??? :-)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Enjoy your class :-)
Your quilt top is lovely.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

That is a great bunch of fabric. I can't wait to see the finished product.

9:59 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Nice fabric!

The 4 border sounds like fun - it'd be a neat theme for a block of the month too, I think!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I too have done a Debby Cafrey mystery quilt - and it hangs in my office at work. Can't wait to see yours completed.

I like the idea of your "4" border. It gives you lots of creative license.

9:46 PM  
Blogger MARCIE said...

Open a Can of Worms is one of my all-time favs! I have made several of the quilts in that book. They are good, basic quilts. I took a class from Debbie several years ago in Seattle. She is a good designer. I know you will enjoy her class. She taught me quite a few tricks that I have been able to pass on in classes that I teach. Your quilt in the picture looks great. Nice going!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Nice fabrics, am looking forward to seeing the end result.
The top looks beautifull too.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I like the barter system too. My mom does some piecing or applique for me and I do her longarm quilting. Works great for both of us.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Finn said...

I like the fabrics your chose. It will be fun to see what the mystery looks like made up in your fabrics..*S* I really love the quilt that you show..it's a knockout!!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Hope you enjoy your class. Would love to see what you end up making with the fabrics.

By the way, your quilt top is very nice.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home