My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, July 31, 2006

mystery solved... almost

Saturday was a really fun day. It was unbearably hot, I had to get up early and my directions were incorrect, but I didn't care. I needed a day to myself so badly.
I really enjoyed Debbie's class and would recommend one to anyone who was interested. She made the rounds the entire time and helped out and chatted at each table. She had some really cool timesaving tips. Here are my friends hard at work.
We did start out the class on a little bit of a low note for some of us. Evidently there had been some problems with the cutting instructions that had been sent out to some of the students. Some had all fractions dropped and some had only the eights dropped. Debbie had worked out re-cutting everything for the people with incorrect instructions, but their quilts would be smaller. Out of the group of us, naturally, I was the only on with the wrong directions. Mine had the eights dropped which meant where I had cut an 8 inch square I was supposed to have cut an 8 7/8th inch square. I had enough of the purple left to re-cut, but with the green I didn't want to cut in the first place I was 2 squares short. I decided that I would rather go buy more than make my quilt smaller. I am looking on the bright side. I found some online and now I need to buy at least another 1/4 yard and who wants to pay all that shipping on such a small purchase so of course I am going to have to buy more to make it worth my while to order. I'm going to end up with enough for that other quilt as well. :c) I didn't let it ruin my day at all.
Here is Debbie's version she revealed when everyone was up to the next to the last step. She then took out all the quilts she had brought with with her to give us a trunk show. She said that since we had such a problem with instructions we deserved to see the whole show. She showed us some quilts from each of her books and pointed out different little design features that add a whole lot to the final quilt. She told us that we were free to take and post pictures of the revealed mystery as long as we didn't give the name it wouldn't ruin it for anyone else since she has done 125 mysteries and without the name no one would know if this was the one they were going to do or not. She didn't give permission for the other quilts so I didn't take any.
Here is my color way that will be finished when I get the rest of the green. Being short 2 squares equated to being unable to finish 2 of the full blocks shown. I'm not going to stress about it. I really like it anyway.
Another good thing happened. I won one of the door prizes! I never win anything. I was drawn second which meant the first person got to choose which of the 2 prizes she wanted. The options were one of Debbie's books Scraps to You Too and this selection of fabric. I already have the book so when the first person chose it, even though these fabrics aren't exactly what I would buy I was thrilled. I think I can come up with something nice from this selection. All in all we had a great day and all love the quilts we ended up with.

13 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

Glad you enjoyed your day. Lucky you winning the fabrics. Look forward to seeing what you make with them.

1:10 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

you've taken a very positive attitude to the cutting problem. Good for you.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Sounds like a great day and I really like the looks of that quilt. Bummer about the instructions though. I hope you don't have a problem finding more of that fabric.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Nice mystery - and congratulations on winning the door prize.
Your sewing cabinet looks very good. No wonder you will keep it.
Good luck on the possible sale.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

Cool quilt and good that you could get around the mistakes made on the handouts. Lemonade out of lemons?

I could not believe the gall of some people---leave your cabinet because the prospective buyer wants a built-in? AH, find your own, sweetheart!

12:15 PM  
Blogger MARCIE said...

Sounds like your class was lots of fun. Debbie's quilt is terrific. Yours will be also. Remember, quilters are allowed to substitute similar fabrics! Or put out a call to your blogger friends for the piece you need.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Sounds like the class was super fun and I love the mysterie that is solved.

1:50 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I think I like YOUR block better than the class example.... :)

And I agree, I'd much rather win fabric as a door prize.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Sounds like a really fun day, Tami..*VBS* So glad that things worked out, and you could get more fabric. Your quilt will be sensational!! And what a great prize to win!!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

those fabrics might not have been your personal choice but they are lovely and it's always good to win/acquire something outside our own personal comfort zone - makes you try something new - wonder what you'll make with them

2:47 AM  
Blogger Melzie said...

I LOVE those fabrics :) I cant wait to see what you make from it :)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Congratulations on winning the door prize. I like fall colors. If you don't like them all together, you can spread them out in all of your quilts as accent colors.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day, and that will be a fabulous quilt! I really like that pattern!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home