My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

happy 4th

We spent a lot of time on the road this weekend so I didn't get a chance to do any sewing at my machine. I hate riding in the car because it feels like such a waste of time. I have been working on this take along project for a while. These are wool applique squares that are going to be appliqued onto a large piece of black wool. It's going to be a rug to go under the table it is on when we move to the new house. I got 5 stars done over the weekend with all our riding around. I haven't decided exactly how big I want to make it yet, but realized I am getting pretty close to having enough squares. I don't want it too big because I don't want it sticking out from under the table too much to get walked on. :o) After all the work I put into it I don't want it wear out too quickly.
This has been a very difficult week for our family. While I was in WI, my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was operated on and is recovering from the surgery and will be starting chemotherapy shortly. My parents live on the coast and always have a 4th of July cookout. This year my mom still wanted to have it, but obviously couldn't do much to make it happen so we all brought what was needed and still had a nice time. Not as boisterous as usual, but it was nice to be with family and celebrate. Hopefully, soon we will be celebrating my mother beating her cancer.

12 Comments:

Blogger Silverthimble said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - especially your mother - as she starts her journey to beat cancer. I am glad your family got a chance to get together--treasure these times.

12:43 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Sorry to hear about your mother - but glad that you were able to spend time with her!

And I think that star rug is going to be WAY too pretty to put on the floor. :)

1:31 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Prayers for your mother and family, it is wonderful that you were able to continue her 4th of July tradition, the sense of normalcy is very important. I like the rug you are working on-please post a picture when finished.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Hang in there with your Mom, I'm glad glad you spent the holiday with her. Tami, she's got a hill to climb, but she's got prayers in her corner. She can do it....start planning little 'pick me ups' to send to cheer her up along the way. Take care -
Melanie

6:21 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. As a child who's walked with both her parents through cancer in the last two years, I can only echo Melanie and suggest planning some "pick me ups" for your mom AND yourself. Even if you don't "feel" like it, its imporant to do self-care or you wont have anything to give your family. Hang in there.

8:47 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Nice stars, we will be keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers & the cats will send purrs.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

So so sorry to hear about your mother, I am glad you were able to spend the holiday with her.

Love, love, love the stars! I love anything done in wool. This rug sounds so awesome. Keep us informed with pictures as you go along!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mother - it was good you all were still able to get together.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Oh Tami - I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That's a really tough one. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers for her recovery coming your way.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

healing thoughts and prayers being sent your way on behalf of your mom. Concentrate on the surgery recovery first and then what follows next.

lots of work on the wool appliques--I'm with Jane on this one. I wouldn't want anyone stepping one toe on it!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

So sorry to hear about your mother. Hopefully, modern medicine and the prayers of many will help her beat the illness.

Your stars are very nice. But do you really want them under the table. I would put them on the table or on the wall. They are too nice to hide.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. All the best for your mother's speedy recovery.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home