My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

baby steps

I'm beginning to get a complex. We have had 2 offers on our house. Both of them so low they weren't worth considering. I know we are on a downswing in the market, but one was not even the amount we bought it for 8 years ago plus improvements. I'm probably taking it to personally, but one couple said they were offering less because they wanted to tear out a wall between the dining room and living room and open it up. Why do they think it is fair for us to take less profit to pay for their remodeling? It is the way it was designed over 100 years ago and if they want it different it should be on their dime. Also, being a lover of old houses them wanting to change that sort of offends me anyway. I guess I would never make a good business person because I take things too personally. I feel like they are trying to take from me. Probably not the right attitude, but I would be embarrassed to offer someone one third less than their asking price. If I didn't have at least close to their price I would consider it out of my range and look for something else. Probably why I'm not rich. :>/

We did get some moving done over the weekend. Got a bed set up and made so if we want to start spending nights there to work there we can. My husband filled his truck and took another load last night after work. It is getting done slowly, but surely. The only problem is going to be leaving this one empty for showings, but we want to get moved before DS heads off to college on Aug 16.

Now for the fun stuff. Taking out my quilt top for pictures in the last post must have been good karma. My friend told me on Tuesday, 1 day after my post, that she could fit it in. Woo hoo. I can't wait to get it back and see what she has done.
I also have also been working to get some sewing done so I can move my sewing room. It's going to be a major undertaking to take apart my sewing cabinet and pack all that fabric. Oops.... I should have been working harder lately to use up, but I'm not sure it's in my personality. I did, however, get this quilt that I had in pieces put together. If you have been reading my blog this is the one I started in January as a leaders and enders project. Then it sat for a while until I found the background I wanted. Then sat again in pieces for the last few months while I have been concentrating on Round Robins. I got it out on Sunday and decided I was going to get it put together. Only borders left. The pattern calls for using the waste triangles from the double half square triangle blocks for the third border. I have all of those, but they need squaring up. Still a lot of work left to do, but I will probably wait until after the move.

21 Comments:

Blogger Linda C said...

Tami, I am sorry to hear that the house selling is not going any better. I agree about them wanting to tear a wall out should not be on your tab. Hang in there.

I love who your quilt is turning out. Will it stay home with you or off with your son to college?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Keep the faith on the house selling. Especially with the school year about to change, someone will snap up that house when you least expect it. Trivia - The one time I bought a house, we had look at millions, but there were renters and when we were looking at it, they were cooking supper... it smelled like home. When I sold the house, I had a pot of coffee going and an apple nut cake in the oven-- it smelled like home. Just a gimmic, you might try.

Melanie

6:17 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

We've got both our house and condo up for sale and haven't gotten an offer yet but I guess it's early still.

I agree that an offer 1/3 less than your asking price is an insult but my husband the sales guy would say that there's nothing wrong with trying a low ball offer.

6:18 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

hang in there.... Its hard not to take a low offer personally, but your right its not intended that way I'm sure -- they're just hopeful.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Ali Honey said...

Hi Tami, Thanks for your suggestion , on my blog, of journal covers and bags, to make for the sales table. They sound likely.Found the bag picture I think on Kimie's. Good luck with the house sale; it's hard to be patient, till the right buyer turns up. Cheers Alison.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Ohhh - I liked those fabrics when you first posted a photo of them - it is good to see the top now! You made great progress on that.

And, I used to be a Real Estate Broker so I know all about getting to the "right" offer. Hang in there.

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:19 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I really like the colors you've chosen. It looks bright and muted at the same time, if that makes sense.
Good luck with the house. The market has slowed down but the right person will see what your house has to offer them, and it'll be a done deal.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I really like the design and the fabrics you have chosen on your quilt.

Good luck with selling your house.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Lovely quilt.
I guess the heath is not good for selling houses. I hope the right buyer shows up soon.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll second what Melanie said - when we moved last year the agents had shown round all the uninterested previous viewers - the eventual buyers could only come unaccompanied so I showed them round myself - I'd just made some flapjacks, I'm sure these went a long way to selling it :o) that and the fact I'm probably a better sales person than the estate agent any day :o) I do hope it goes soon for you - the waiting is the worst part

12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops forgot to say the burgundy and sand quilt looks lovely

12:43 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Nice quilt!

I want to say something about the house but don't know exactly what to say... (Ya know what I mean?) My husband & I just recently went out to look at some properties (town houses) to purchase (Our first, so no equity from a prior purchase to use as a down payment...) We only looked at what we could afford, which does not come close to what we want (not that we want a LOT) so we are waiting. I guess my bottom line is that I never even considered looking at something that I could not afford, so that I could offer 1/3 the asking price... (nor did I consider asking 1/3 less on those that I could afford, so I could update the kitchen....)

good luck. (At least those head stones are not keeping everyone away, huh?)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I've read books that say you should make really low offers to see how desperate the seller is. These investors are probably not the type of buyers you want, so it is best for you to wait.

This quilt is beautiful. You picked the perfect background fabric for it. I have this quilt on my to-do list, and have saved a picture of your quilt for inspiration. Do you have room on your bed to have another border?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Wow I would be insulted too. Sometimes it's hard to get your improvement money back out at the end, but 1/3 off the price is insulting!

1:18 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Good luck on finding the right buyer for your house. :)

Your quilt reminds me of argyle socks. And I love the background fabric too, looks great with all the reds and blues.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

Love that quilt--the setting and the color placement make it different than what I'm used to seeing with those blocks. Great job!

Hang in there with your house selling--it's so hard, because you have so much of yourself tied up into it, it's hard to not take low ball offers personally. I tend to agree though--people shouldn't make such a low offer if they can't afford near the asking price. But my husband is one to make low offers too. Must be a guy/girl thing!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Vicky said...

I hate selling a home. When we sold ours a couple of years ago, the market was at a peak - but I'll never forget this one couple. (He was obnoxious and she looked scared to death of him.) He walked in and immediately offered half price because he hated the colors, the landscaping, the flooring, the floor plan, etc., etc. My ex was furious when I asked him to leave. The realtor was laughing so hard he was crying! :)

Hang in there - the perfect folks will come along who love your home!

((HUGS))

11:34 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Nice quilt - scrappy but leans towards a good color scheme.
I would be insulted too by those low offers on your house. Why do people do that? Hang in there - the right buyer will show up.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

First off I love your leaders and enders quilt!
Hang in there with your house! The right buyer will come along!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Melzie said...

That quilt is so RICH looking. I am so sorry about your house :( Good luck (and prayers) it sells soon! xoxo melzie

11:19 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wasn't it Bonnie Hunter who put some kind of cinnamon apple thing in the oven when she was going to show her house in Texas? Amazing what sells houses and what doesn't. Good luck, it will happen. There's always St. Joseph, I think it is, the one you bury upside down in your garden?

I love the quilt on the bed. It's great!

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home