My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, July 31, 2006

a beautiful day in the neighborhood

It was a beautiful day today. The humidity finally broke and we didn't have a new crisis to deal with. We went shopping and I think we have pretty much everything DS needs to head off college in a couple of weeks. :c)
Last week seemed to be a week filled with problems. We started out Monday with that really low offer on the house. Tuesday was fine. Then Wednesday, after having to leave work 2 hours early to deal with a problem with our auto insurance, when I got home DS informed me that something was weird with the pool. I went out into the back yard and the water level had dropped about 8 inches, 2 inches below the skimmer. The pump had been sucking air so he had shut it off. I had visions of big expenses and a backhoe digging up my back yard to fix a burst pipe while we are trying to sell. Not very conducive to high offers. I didn't get any sleep worrying about what was going to happen. I spent a good part of the next day working with the pool place in town trying to diagnose where the water was leaking from. Finally, by Friday morning it was decided that it was either a hole in the liner or the main drain that had been blocked off years ago so with no digging necessary they would send a diver over to go down and check it out. He couldn't come that day because we had a HUGE thunderstorm with heavy downpour which caused our next crisis. DS had taken DH's car to work that day and left the windows down. Now this wasn't just some rain, this was like 3 inches within half an hour. It was standing on our lawn because it was coming down so fast the ground couldn't absorb at that rate. Needless to say, the seats were saturated and there was standing water on the floor of the car after DS had already spent about half an hour with the shop vac trying to get it out. The humidity level was also so high I didn't know how it was ever going to dry. I took over vacuuming and then blotted with a chamois to remove as much as possible. We set up a fan in the garage to blow through with all the doors open. It took overnight and all day Saturday before it was dry to the touch. With today's beautiful weather DH put it out in the driveway with all the windows down and I think we can safely pronounce it totally dry without permanent damage. The diver ended up coming yesterday and patched a slit in the liner. The pool is now refilled and we just have to play with the chemicals to get it back to sparkling.
We did have some action on the house this week. A low, but not offensively low, offer came in during all our pool fun on Wednesday evening. The only "NO WAY" with it was that she wanted MY SEWING CABINET. I guess I'm the only person who would never consider asking for someone else's furniture. We countered with "You're not getting my sewing cabinet. What the heck would I do with all my fabric?" and that offer is still pending. Then during all our car problems on Friday our realtor called to set up a showing for Saturday. It was a very busy evening between getting ready for my mystery class, saving the car and cleaning up for the showing. It was very late before I got to bed. Luckily, I was so excited for my class that the adrenalin carried me through. The showing, I guess, went well. DH said that that evening the buyers rode by 5 times and stopped in front of the house talking and pointing. Sounds promising. We are keeping our fingers crossed for another offer hopefully tomorrow.
I took pictures during my class, but haven't downloaded them yet. I will devote another whole post to that. Stay tuned...... ;c)

10 Comments:

Blogger quiltpixie said...

when you do exciting you really do it huh :-)

1:52 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm tuned in!

Sounds like it was a *really* busy week! My fingers are crossed for a fabulous offer. I can't imagine asking for someone's sewing cabinet as part of the house deal!

2:37 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Obviously she's not a quilter.... no one would mess with something so sacred....hang in there. Remember you've got to go through the weeds to get to the garden. Selling a home was so personal for me too. I can remember I had 2 tiny babies (under 2yr old), so sometimes I couldn't leave when the house was shown. I hated the way people picked over something I loved. It's tough--but keep your eyes on your home ahead...
Melanie

6:24 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

with the offensive offers last week and such a trouble filled weekend, surely you are do for something good - like a firm, pleasing offer!

6:51 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

In the buyers defense - your cabinet does look like a built-in.... Which IMHO is a good thing & a compliment that she would want it to stay...

Good Luck.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

After the week you have just had i hope this week will be so much better:-) Good luck with selling your home.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I thought the same thing Amy said. Is the cabinet attached to the wall? Like I have cabinets hung on the walls in my sewing room. According to our realtor, we have to remove them BEFORE we list because anything attached to the walls is considered part of the house...like light fixtures and such. Which is also why we kept all the ugly light fixtures to replace when we decide to sell. Good ones come off, ugly goes back up!

Hope you get a good offer!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Well, I can't say that I blame the buyer.... I would want that cabinet too. Never hurts to ask!
However - hold out for a good offer (without the cabinet).

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Why do things happen at the worse time? We've also got our house for sale and Friday before we left to go to the condo we had a leak in the kitchen sink. Turns out it was just a loose part at the sprayer but because I was worried someone MIGHT come see the house we stayed home until we could get a plumber out. What a pain!

Then while we were at the condo a realtor we weren't expecting came by to show the condo.

I'll be glad when both places are sold! Hopefully they'll want your house even without the cabinet!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Gosh - sounds like a busy week, but not in a great way. I hope things slow down for you soon so you can have a nice, peaceful week!

Cheers!

Evelyn

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home