My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

the up side

Now that I have the raving off my chest I need to point out the up side of traveling to Madison, WI. :o)
When you travel for work there isn't much to do during the time that you aren't working. So early on I started checking the phone book as soon as I checked into the hotel to see if there were any quilt shops in the area. As I mentioned I don't travel as often anymore and only travel to one client in Madison. I have on one trip or another visited all the shops in the area. My favorites are JJ Stitches in Sun Prairie and Mill House Quilts in Waunakee. Sun Prairie isn't very far from where we stay. There are 3 decent shops in the small community of Sun Prairie, but JJ Stitches is my favorite and they are open week nights until 5:30 so I can usually get there at least once. Mill House is more difficult since they close at 5 except on Thursday and this trip we left on Thursday. It's also a little more difficult when I travel with the guys from work. Funny they don't think that fabric shopping is that fun. Go figure. :>\ The first picture is my purchases from this trip. The top 2 are to add to this collection I have been working on for about a year. I collected the fabrics for the Morning Star quilt on my bed the same way starting with one I really loved and collecting from there. I really like how it turned out. I haven't yet figured out what I want to use for a pattern for this, but I think I have almost enough of a variety to get started. I am thinking of something along the lines of Whimsical's Fireside Cozy or Miss Rosie's Quilt Company Cracker Crumbs. Something very scrappy. Anyone have a good really scrappy almost charm pattern?

14 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Tami, I love the quilt on your bed, did you use a pattern or just make your own dimensions? I like the storage unit too- my stash might fit, but not my other accumulated stuff!

6:58 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I like both of the ones that you suggested, but as soon asI saw the bundle, I thought Trip Around the World.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Cracker Crumbs looks fun! I just posted a cute thimbleberries scrap pattern on my blog you may like for that.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

I'm a bad one to give advice - I love every scrap pattern I've ever seen! I love the quilt on the bed and your sewing area and storage.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Tami,
Cracker Crumbs looks neat...i'm not a scrappy quilt person...but it's neat! Also love the one on your bed! Simple but neat!
Hugs
Laurie
email me any time about your mom if you want to!

9:14 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Don't know about a pattern, but I am so envious of all your new fabrics!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think these fabrics would look great in Whimsicals Fireside Cozy.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

I just love the quilt on your bed! What a cozy sewing area! Thanks for sharing.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Yes, I agree with the others, the quilt on your bed is terrific. Both patterns you are contempating are new to me - and I think I like the Fireside Cozy one the best, although the Cracker Crumbs might look better to me in more scrappy colors. Why not make both???????

8:16 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Hi Tami, as the WI gal in the maverick ring, I can totally identify with your love of JJ's stitches. It's been there in Sun Prairie for ages...and it's such a neat shop. Glad you found some places to shop while visiting Madison.
I had to chuckle(please forgive me for that)about your airline woes. I'm not chuckling at you but rather WITH you. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I think the airlines have set out to prove that!! I often wonder if it will ever get back to where it was. It just seems to be one snaffu on top of another.
love the fabrics you bought, I'm sure when the right pattern comes along you'll know..*VBS*

11:53 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Nice fabrics you bought and I just love that christmas tree round robin

5:16 AM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Both of the patterns are great! I love your fabric choices!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

What an awesome pile of fabric! Should you get here to Adelaide, we will definitely share shop notes ... we will catch up too!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

3:24 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great collection of fabrics! I just love auditioning different patterns for my stash on hand! You have some nice options there and I am positive that you will add a few more into the running before you take your rotary cutter in hand! I love scrappy quilts!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home