My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

it was the best of days it was the worst of days

It was my birthday this week. Due to work, vacation schedules and such I sort of celebrated it all week long. On Tuesday April took me to lunch and gave me this really cool present. That is sock yarn that she dyed herself with a drawstring bag and a little case to hold my needles. I just love it. I give away most of what I make, but this pair of socks is going to be for me.
DH made dinner for me on Thursday, my actual birthday, and wrote in my card that he was taking me here this weekend. We always went when we lived in the area before and hadn't been in years. I had forgotten how much I missed it. We didn't buy much, but I just like to look at what people are making and get inspiration. DH bought me a present. This cute little bear. He came home and climbed right up on my mantle between the silhouettes of my children, under my teddy bear picture and made himself at home. The lady who made him had a sign up saying she is offering a class at one of the local high schools in October. I'm going to take it to learn how to make my own bears. I've made bears before, but only small ones with button joints. This class is going to teach me real joints.
After we got home I was making a yummy stir fry for dinner and laid my knitting aside on the couch. I was chatting away with DH and not paying attention to what I was doing. As I levered myself off the couch I heard a crack. Oh no! My 47" circular needle that I had just gotten to learn 2 at a time socks. Snapped! I was heartsick. I am only about 3 inches away from being finished and I can't continue. DH tried to glue them, but the first try didn't work. They are clamped now and I am not to try again for 24 hours DH's orders. He was so sweet. He felt so bad for me. If this gluing doesn't work I'm just going to have to work on something else until I can replace my needle. Maybe it's a message to finish some of my other projects.

8 Comments:

Blogger antique quilter said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
taking a bear making class sounds fun.
oh can't believe the needle broke and you were so close to being done.
HOpe this works and you can continue Mon night.
how are you doing with all that rain?
Kathie

3:15 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you really have had a nice week, all except for the knitting needle. Hope the glue job holds at least until you can finish your socks.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Hope the glue holds long enuff to finish this project. If you like this technique, then I highly recommend you get an Addi Turbo 40" needle to do more.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Gypsy Quilter said...

Here's wishing you a very happy belated birthday!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Happy Birthday! It was birthday on the 9th! Had a quiet day with my grown children, their spouses and my grandson. At least as quiet it can be with a 16 month old around.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Happy Birthday! What fun to learn bear making - can't wait to see what you make.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Sorry about the needle-how frustrating!! But a very happy belated birthday to you! Of course you know that only the most talented, most stunning, and most importantly- most modest...are born on that date!! lol Tracey

8:18 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday week. I just love that bear! He has so much personality! Did the gluing work on your needles?

That is the cutest bag your friend gave you. I will want to see the socks when you finish.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home