My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

i just don't get people...

... and probably never will. I had a very busy weekend and I think I am finally recovered. My job basically involves sitting in a chair and typing all day. Last weekend I went and helped my friend Jan in her booth at the Maine Quilts 2008 show. We were SO busy. By the end of the weekend I was sore in muscles I had forgotten I had and my feet were killing me. I had to go back to work to get some rest.
I really enjoyed it despite the way some people act. I know the customer is always supposed to be right, but there are some limits. There was a booth hop and participants were supposed to get their passports signed at each booth. No matter what we were doing or who we were helping, people who were only after the prize would shove their passports into our faces and say "Sign this". One woman put hers between my face and the credit card slip I was filling out. The one that took the cake though was the woman who put hers on a magazine, picked up one of our pens and SHOVED them into my stomach while I was talking on the phone. Can you imagine? Where did some people learn their manners? I did make her wait until I was done, but of course I didn't think of the perfect thing to say until much later. At the time I was basically speechless.
To thank us for our help Jan took us to see Mama Mia! It was a blast. I think some of the people in the theater had seen it a number of times because I kept hearing "I love this part". Everyone around us was singing so I figured it was safe for me as well. I don't know if I could have not even if no one else was. I just would have been more quiet about it. :cD
One of our friends won a blue ribbon for this quilt. Congratulations Linda! It's beautiful.

8 Comments:

Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

You are so right Tami some people/women can be down right RUDE. That's one reason I never joined the group that did the shop hops in our area. I did not want those rude women coming in just for the "freebies". So in return I was shunned by the "group" that ran the shop hop. You just cant win sometimes.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I hate rudeness too and quite often embarass my kids by saying so loudly in public - lol ! That quilt is stunning - a rightful winner.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Women like that get very 'Me' oriented - there's just no call for it. We just have to remind ourselves that it will come back - we may not see it happen . . . but it will *s*

9:56 AM  
Blogger Knot Garden said...

Working at a quilt show should be fun and would have been if those people had behaved properly! I can't stand bad manners of any kind.
My daughters went to see that film and they both loved it.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Sweet P said...

I hate rude people as well. I have no tolerance for rudeness and will tell people when they are rude.

The bargello quilt is outstanding!

12:35 PM  
Blogger swooze said...

I would love to help at a quilt show one day. It seems it would be fun but I can see where some ill mannered folks could take the shine of in a hurry!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

HI Tami,

Yes this is one of the reasons why we closed our shop two years ago. People become so demanding and there is only so much you can give with what you are 'paid'. Funny how people get - I think LIbby is right about the 'me' orientated. It was even harder when you did not want to lose customers because they brought your sales. So glad I am not in retail and back to my paid by someone else profession.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Working with the public can be an eye opener! Guess the solution would have been to have someone who only signed the cards and did nothing else. Those people needed to learn patience!
Your friend's quilt is a beauty. Very good choice of fabrics.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home