My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

does yarn count?

I didn't get a chance to do a whole lot of stashbusting this week. I have been on a new quest. Our sofa is about the same age as my son and is getting extremely threadbare. We've been shopping for a new one for years and haven't been unable to find anything that I like. I have finally found a place to have it reupholstered. I have to pick out fabric and hadn't realized how hard it is to find upholstery fabric now. I'm sure most people simply buy a new couch, but I've tried going that route and it didn't work. It's going to take between 11 and 14 yards to have it done and in the end it is going to cost more than I originally paid for the sofa. The only fabric I have found so far that I really like is $104/yard. OUCH. Not an amount I am willing to pay. I found another online, but no durability rating given. I guess I'm going to have to keep looking. I'm not going to consider my upholstery fabric stash addition (if I find any). It's more like buying a new couch.
No fabric stashbusting this week. I did start putting together the quilt for my coworker. No new fabric used, but no new fabric added either. I'm sort of standing in place.
Does yarn count? I did manage to use 3 skeins of stashed yarn. I made a shopping bag. DH laughed thinking it was funny that I would use a knit bag for shopping, but I think it's great. It expands a ton and is really lightweight. I'm doing my part being green. :cD
I also made this felted bag. I love felting yarn. I bought a set of Options knitting needles for Knitpicks.com and wanted to try them out. They are wonderful, very smooth and a dream to knit with.

8 Comments:

Blogger Howdy said...

There was a great store where I lived in MA called Osgoods... had tons and tons of upholstery fabric and decorator fabric and a little of everything else. Maybe you can find a shop like that around you - if not then it might be worth a trip down there to see. Oh wait - there is a local fabric chain of stores out in the Boston area too that carried upholstery fabric as well.
www.fabricplace.com
I know they have a store in Framingham - check the site to see where their other stores are... those would be closer than the Springfield area and you might could make a day trip out of it.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Good luck on your fabric search . . . a couple years back, I gave in and finally found a new sofa instead *s*

5:56 PM  
Blogger Gypsy Quilter said...

Mary Jo's of Gastonia, NC carries upholstery fabric. Perhaps you can find a cotton swatch and send them an idea of what you want. Check the internet for contact info or e-mail me.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

I knitted a small bag like that. My first and last knitted project. LOL!!!! I found out I'm not cut out to be a knitter.
Love your co worker quilt. Great colors.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Good luck with your search. I think if you are really happy with the shape of your couch, reupholstering it probably is the best option, so you can get exactly what you want. Can you try to get a sample of that one fabric which doesn't have a durability rating, so you can see if you like the quality?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

I was interesting about reupholstering sofa. :-) Good luck with your fabric search!

Your felted bag looks so neat. I love this bag shapes!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Nice felted bag. I have made one so far. There just aren't enough hours in the day for both quilting and knitting.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Denverfabrics.com has a good selection of upholstry fabrics... might be worth an internet search or two or three... even Waverly fabrics at about $11 a yard. Great bag - I have made a few felted bags as gifts.

Cheers!
Evelyn

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home