My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

mini quiltathon


I am so happy that it worked out that I could spend some time on a mini quiltathon this weekend. I should have spent more time but I am still dealing with my whole "can't get out of my own way" thing.
I have a friend at work who is anxiously awaiting the birth of his first child towards the end of July. He is a really good friend so of course he had to have a quilt. I have been thinking about what to do. They already know they are having a boy, but I have no idea on colors so I just picked something I liked. The purple has firetrucks and trains. I hope it is boyish enough. All made from stash. I am trying to decide if I'm going to do a border or not. It's only about 34 x 42 inches, and I really wanted to put a purple matching the trains around it, but I don't have anything suitable in stash and I'm not going to buy anything new. I was trying to think differently when April suggested that it didn't need a border at all. What do you think? I could just bind it with the brown dot material.
My "no buy" is still going strong. I managed to save about $25 on groceries this week although that will probably change as DS is due home this week from his summer program. I didn't buy anything else this week except gas. So far I haven't noticed a difference since I pretty much exclusively shop with credit cards and it won't show until the next statement. I'm excited to see how low it is.
This week's stash report:
fabric in -- 0 again
fabric used -- 2 1/2 yards
I also got some work done on the quilt for my friend from work.

6 Comments:

Blogger antique quilter said...

I don't think you need to put on borders either, especially if you don't want to buy any fabric!
good for you making this quilt from stash.
The size is perfect for the stroller or just putting over the baby at naptime.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I don't think you need borders either.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Put me in the 'no borders' column. Looks great just as it is *s*

8:57 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

It's great just as it is. Have you ever done that thing where instead of cutting batting level with the quilt top you cut it about an inch bigger and then add a big binding a quarter inch from the fabric as usual and slip stitching it over. This might work for this - just a thought. Clear as mud ? lol

4:20 AM  
Blogger Knot Garden said...

I don't think it needs borders. Brown binding sounds good to me :)

7:04 AM  
Blogger SG said...

Hi, I'm your friend from Cupcake Swap. First time visiting and I have to say that your work is lovely!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home