My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

light at the end of the tunnel

No time for sewing, but I think I am starting to see a light at the end of our tunnel. Now that the horrible tenants are finally out we have been spending any available time trying to put the apartment back into rent-able condition. We went into this particular rental a little naive I think. They were our 3rd tenants in this apartment and the family we had before them were wonderful. These people wanted to move in even before we had a chance to clean. They said they would clean it themselves and wanted to move in immediately. We were just happy to have it rented so soon. There was some older wallpaper and they asked if they could change it. DH said simply "sure" not thinking that they would do something outrageous. I mean, it isn't their property. They allowed their teenage daughter to paint her bedroom HOT pink (notice the overpaint on the outlet) with primary red accents around the windows and doors (notice the overpaint on the switch by the door). Those colors don't even go together. I thought I had taken a picture, but evidently even my camera must have been offended. Not only were the colors horrible, but they did an ATROCIOUS job with the work. The woodwork was stained, but we had to paint it because they slopped so much paint it couldn't be cleaned off. Then, for the coup de gras, there were 4 bright colored rectangles in a grid, probably 12" by 18" each, in bright purple, yellow, orange and green with the playboy bunny symbol painted in the center of each of them. It took 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint and another coat of paint ragged over that and I can still see the outline of those tacky bunnies. This is what it looks like now, after 3 solid days of both DH and I painting. Big improvement. Big exhaustion.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

So sorry... So many people get into "rental units" and have problems... I have heard so many horror stories, that I doubt that I could manage - without a management company...

7:10 AM  
Blogger Howdy said...

Sorry to hear about your problems. I always thought if I had a place to rent out - the cost would include the cost to have a cleaning person come in once a month to clean everything. Maybe the thought of someone coming in would make folks keep up - and at the very least it might help weed out those who knew they wouldn't want the scrutiny. A friend recently had to clean out a house she had rented to a daughter of a friend... what a mess they left behind and it will cost her money to get rid of the stuff they left. Never rent to friends was her lesson.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Tenants can be a dream or a nightmare to be sure. A couple of years back we did extensive renovations after evicting a tenant. Some of the work was much needed upkeep but there was plenty of work (and $$$$) to fix damages and neglect *yikes* Hope you now get the tenant of your dreams.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Our building at work gets 'tagged' a lot. We buy Kilz by the gallon. Our soft sandstone color is turning white. Good Luck.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Tracey in CT said...

What a pain to deal with. Here's hoping that you get better tenants next time!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home