My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

the week in review

What a week! The weather this week has been really something. There was only 1 day that it didn't snow. On Friday we had to make about a 2 hour trip to go to court to evict tenants we have in a rental property where we lived before. They haven't paid rent in 3 months and the wife gave horrible attitude at the hearing. I just do not understand how some people think. She agreed that they hadn't paid rent, but commented snidely that we knew why. Her husband was out of work for a few weeks, but what she failed to mention is that she has never worked herself and they could afford a vacation for 5 to Florida for Christmas. She cried and tried to make us look heartless. The judge was sympathetic, but wouldn't listen to her excuses and we were granted the judgement. We can have them removed next Friday. That was a stress relief for me. We have been paying very high oil prices for that property and with nothing coming in it has put a huge strain on our finances.
It was snowing all day and we ended up stopped in a real mess on the way home. About a 1/3 mile stretch of the highway was littered with accidents. We counted at least 12 cars and a jackknifed semi off the road on both sides. There was a mini van that had been hit so hard that all of the windows were shattered and a sedan with its trunk in its back seat. We didn't see an ambulance, so hope everyone was alright. It must have frozen suddenly and caught everyone off guard. I have never seen it that bad before.
All in all it's been a pretty good week on the quilting front. I finished the wall hanging for Jan's shop. It's quilted, has a hanging sleeve and I sewed down the binding waiting for our day in court. It used about a 1/4 yard of fabric. I also got my niece's quilt top all put together. All it needs is its borders and then I'm ready to quilt. I counted this fabric when it was cut so I can't add it to my total. I also started a reproduction doll quilt for Jan's shop as well. She is still having trouble selling the repros. I don't get it. I love them so much. These 4 patches are going to be set on point in 3 rows and sashed vertically. This is about a 1/2 yard. The biggest news is that we stopped at Marden's and I left with exactly NO fabric and NO yarn. There was a nice background that rode around in my cart for a while, but I restrained myself and put it back.
So this week 3/4 yard used and none added.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I am Rebecca and I live in Alaska. I was just reading around the stash quilts ring. So I decided to leave a comment because of your plea...:)

12:50 AM  
Blogger Lindah said...

I'm glad you made it home safely through the snow and ice! (Said fervently by a Californian!) :-)
I hope this week is a better one for you.
I'm sorry, I do tend to lurk a lot as a frustrated non-blogger. I really do appreciate the time and effort you and all my other blogging friends put into your blogs. All you quilty blogger friends are a great inspiration to my quilting life.
Stay safe and keep warm,
Linda H

1:01 AM  
Blogger Lori in South Dakota said...

I so admire your applique. Primitive too, my favorite! It's beautiful.

2:38 AM  
Blogger antique quilter said...

wow that was restraint going to Mardens and not buying anything!
I am so looking forward to my trip to Maine this spring and going to Marden's!
does the shop you make samples for have a website?
Love the little quilt you made...and the 4 patches are great can'twait to see the quilt you make with these.
I love seeing peoples fabric choices!
Glad this week is over for you and hopefully this coming one will be so much better!
Kathie who still wants some of your snow!
It snowed yesterday but just enough for a dusting..

4:50 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Marden's is my favorite place to buy borders, backgrounds and wide backs!!! You did well to leave that store with no fabric!

Congrats on getting the court to agree to allow you to get the non-paying tenants out. Mass. has to be the worst state to be a landlord in - if there are children involved the entire process can take over 1 year. So, glad to hear that WA moves faster.

Cheers!

Evelyn

7:54 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I mean Maine, not WA! Typed too fast and mind was wandering a bit! We all know Marden's is in MAINE, right? Although I am almost certain they have stores in NH too?

Cheers!

Evelyn

7:57 AM  
Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I am sick of the snow too here in NH. It is getting hard to pull out of streets here to see the oncoming traffic. And more on the way tomorrow. Yuck, yuck, yuck! Can't wait for spring.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love the quilt you made for your niece. Very striking! Is that the BQ quilt pattern?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Gypsy Quilter said...

I'm glad you did not get caught in that awful traffic mess. Really love your shadowed squares piece, wonderful!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Saska said...

As a landlord, I truly understand your situation. Renters can be a mess sometimes.
I'd like to know if it is a BQ quilt too?!

BTW--This comment is coming from WEstern Oklahoma!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

Glad the tenant mess was taken care of. Hope the next crew is an improvement. I love the quilt for your niece. People are asking if it is a BQ quilt. What does that mean?

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home