My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

stashbusting of another sort

I think I may have mentioned that I am an equal opportunity stasher. I have a stash of yarn as well as fabric, and after last Christmas I had a Goodwill binge where I stashed 100% wool clothing and sweaters. I felted everything and they have been packed into a plastic tote in my sewing room. I had pulled out a lavender sweater that I really liked to make a pair of mittens. I hadn't gotten to it yet when DD spotted the sweater in my sewing room and asked what it was for. I told her it was going to be mittens and she said she wanted them so of course I made them for her. They are really thick and warm. I was going to double them up and line them with polar fleece, but I didn't have one that coordinated and she is leaving tomorrow. So done is better than not. One sweater used.
I also used 2 skeins of my stashed yarn. When Christmas shopping I saw a scarf I thought DD would like in a very expensive store that shall remain nameless. I thought it would be very silly to buy a scarf with tons of yarn at home. I went home, found a cable I liked and designed a scarf from it. DD was the recipient of this as well. I offered to make one for DS, but even though he said he liked it he wasn't interested. DD was really happy with it.

5 Comments:

Blogger antique quilter said...

I love that scarf and have been looking for a pattern I liked.
what size is the width of the scarf?
I am just getting back into knitting...my youngest dd knits , she loves making socks and scarfs . So since I have to drive her to the yarn store I always get inspired! I like projects I don't have to think about too much, one cable would be good!
LOL
Thanks
kathie

5:06 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

The mittens are a great idea . . . and they turned out just darned cute *s*

12:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love both the mittens and the scarf. Many years ago I cut a pattern out of a magazine that was for making mittens out of old wool sweaters. I will have to pull that one out.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

Great mittens and scarf!! Who wouldn't like them?

11:08 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I'm an equal opportunity stasher myself. I just finished a shawl that used up 400gr of DK weight Wool Ease. Warm but washable. Love the mittens.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home