My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

it IS easy being green

I have been so excited lately reading about everyone's efforts to "be green". It is a cause very close to my heart. Oprah had a show a week or so ago that pointed out how very small personal concessions can save a great deal in reduction in landfill and using resources. Our family has always been quite "green". It was largely from frugal necessity, but saving the earth has been high in our consciousness as well. When DD was about 3 my mother got her a subscription to Ranger Rick and she became a very vocal Earth Saver. I still remember her riding in my mother's wagon in the grocery store and informing my mother, very loudly and with tears, that she couldn't buy those paper towels because then she would be hurting the Earth. We have always used cloth napkins, cloth diapers, fabric cleaning cloths, fabric wrapping bags and canvas shopping bags. As you can see from my napkin basket no energy is wasted on ironing either. ;c) We have a laundry day so drying is done in succession to avoid reheating the dryer for each load. I will very seldom use the oven for one meal, but cook multiple meals or a lot of baking per heating. Last year we replaced most of our light bulbs with CFL bulbs. I also recently started eco-cleaning with baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar. It has become game to see how small we can make our personal impact.
A number of us at our office have started working towards making our workplace more green as well. Most now have their own coffee mugs and water bottles. We have also started ordering post consumer paper products and are bringing in inexpensive silverware and extra mugs for client visitors. I think the fact that everyone is more aware and are trying to work together is a huge step in the right direction.
There still a lot of other things that we can do. I found a great website that gives suggestions for being green with everything from your pets to your wedding. There were a number of facts that I didn't realize like how bad clumping kitty litter is for your cats as well as the environment. I'm going to have to make a change there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Howdy said...

I'll have to check out that website - we've been using CF light bulbs since they first came out... back in the mid to late 70's I think? Back when they use to blink, blink, blink before they actually came on. We have replaced all the regular bulbs in this rental townhouse with CF and will change them back before we leave and take our CF with us.
I had to LOL the other day when a women in HomeDepot was looking at the CF bulbs but said to her kids... 'I don't think I want to get these - I heard that they have lead in them'... I told her the only time you'd have problems with the lead is if they got broken... and in the 25 plus years I've used these bulbs I've never ever broken one.
I too love the cloth napkins - my husband use to kid me about my $500 napkin maker... I had bought a surger and that was about all I used it for... well now I make pillowcases with it as well. I like the basket idea to keep them more readily available. Yes I too love vinegar for cleaning... especially the dog nose prints off of the windows. We used it a lot getting the house in MASS ready to sell.

6:46 PM  
Blogger CONNIE W said...

Excellent post...thanks for sharing the info.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ms. Jan said...

I'm with you on the cloth napkin front and am also working harder to be greener. Thanks for the link!

9:00 PM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

We have been trying to be more "green" for the past year. It is something I have always tried to do but getting my DH to think twice has been a real effort. He is getting there though. He still hates bringing anything out to the compost pile though!

Sio

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home