My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, March 19, 2007

making the best of it

Since I have moved here, my friend April and I have been trying to have a quilting weekend. We had planned for her to come here this past weekend and had both planned what we were going to work on. Well, about Thursday they were calling for a big storm on Friday night through Saturday so we decided to forgo April driving and have a cyber-quilting weekend instead. Good thing. The storm turned out to be about 6 inches of snow topped with about 2 inches of ice.
It wasn't quite as much fun as if she had been here, but we chatted through the day and checked in with progress. We both got started with some cleaning in our sewing rooms and then April worked on some UFO's and I worked on cutting more blocks for the Fireside Cozy quilt. I decided to stick with the red in the corners so I finished stitching the blocks together. I think this picture shows the color better. I auditioned some other colors for the red but none of them were any better so I decided to stick with it.
I know it doesn't look like much, but it took quite a while to get all these parts of blocks stitched and then cut. I also trimmed these over 200 HST's for the border of this quilt I started some time ago. It took me more than the whole movie (which we both liked btw) to get them squared up. It is such a tedious job and probably my least favorite.
On Sunday I was going to get the borders figured out and sewn on. I planned to do a narrow red border then a wider border of the background and then the HST's. I got the sizes figured out and then realized that I will need another yard if I want to use that same background for the border. I auditioned some other fabrics that will work OK, but I am going to keep looking for some more of this. It is a Cherished Memories by RJR, beige background with tiny red dots. I just love it because it goes with my favorite fabrics. I have used it in a number of quilts and I have run out. :o( I'm going to start shopping online, but if anyone sees any at their LQS let me know and I'll see if they will ship. :o) If you enlarge the picture of the HST's you can see the fabric pretty well.

10 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bee said...

Beautiful quilt!!!! I love the colors and the crispness!

11:49 AM  
Blogger swooze said...

Pretty quilt. I wondered where you were when I saw the snow. Maine...enough said!

Your kitties are so cute. Made me think I need to start taking more pics of the new pup to chart his growth!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

Wow! You got a lot done during your cyber retreat. I hope you can get together soon!

Great fabrics!
Kairle

6:22 PM  
Blogger Rose Marie said...

Oh yumm ... your quilts are gorgeous!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You made a very nice scrap quilt there with a lot of country/repro fabrics that I like so much. I am looking forward to see it quilted.
P.S.: I love your ironing board cover!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

These are both beautiful quilts. And when you are putting parts of blocks together, it does seem like it takes forever, and progress is really hard to see, but we all know that is where most of the work gets done.
It's spring now, I hope the snow stays away, or at least comes down in more reasonable basis.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Lovely quilts. I like the red corners.

2:48 AM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

What a clever idea to have a cyber-retreat. Pretty snow shot.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Karen (Misiz C) said...

I love the scrappy chain quilt. What is the pattern called? I enlarged the photo to look at your Cherished Memories fabric. I had some of that too.. but alas I have used mine up also. I will keep my eyes open at the LQS for you though.

Your kitty pictures are fun! They're adorable.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That just looks absolutely stunning. The colours anre great and i love the idea of cyber quilting!
Good luck with doing up the old house! tracey

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home