My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

are you sitting down?

Everyone who knows me and has been quilting with me for a few years probably remembers this project. I think you should all sit down now to avoid falling over in amazement. I have finished my Amish wall hanging.
This is a project I started after a trip to Amish country in PA. For a few years a friend and I would go to the Quilter's Heritage Gathering each spring. On one of our trips I decided I needed to make this so I purchased the fabrics. They sat for a while until I found the time to piece it (my children were small then). After it was pieced I marked the center portion and started looking for quilting patterns for the border. I knew it was going to take some time to quilt so I wanted to choose patterns I would love forever. It took a few years and a class from Liz Porter on designing feathered quilt designs to come up with what I ended with. The quilt was marked and I started quilting the center. I never worked on it very steadily, but it would come out every so often and I would work on it. One time I took it out and noticed that the outer border looked more gray than black. Like I said, this was a project that I had chosen very carefully so I still loved it and couldn't go on with gray borders. I found some more black and replaced and remarked the borders and started quilting again. It has been sitting in my quilting bag for a while now while I work on more instant gratification projects. This last week we had really cold weather. It was cold in my quilting room, but since I had missed sewing last weekend I was really anxious to accomplish something. I pulled this out and promised myself that this time I was going to finish it. Here it is DONE!
The top picture is closer to the true colors, but you can't really see the quilting so I included the second with brighter lighting, but not true colors.

25 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

That's just beautiful! And doesn't it feel good to finally get it finished.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Gorgeous quilt! I love the pictures you post. You do such beautiful work!

4:51 PM  
Blogger bingo~bonnie said...

I have a TATW UFO - one of my oldest as a matter of fact - stared it in 1995. It was before my days of rotary cutter and I didn't know the easy way back then. All the pieces finish at 1.5" and I have lost fabric for some of the rounds. Maybe one day I will dig it out and finish it up...

Yours is georgous in those amish solids!!! What a great way to remember your trip to PA. :) Thanks for sharing! ~Bonnie

7:49 PM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

Beautiful! All hand quilted too! This is a treasure!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

Congrats to you, Tami! It is gorgeous.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Melzie said...

That is beautiful :) Yay congrats on the finish! xoxo melzie

11:01 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

So nice- and soo finished, hooray! Nice job.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Your quilt is beautiful. What a sense of accomplishment you must have! Congratulations.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

It's not the length of time - it's about the journey (and, of course, the beautiful quilt *s*)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

it sure came out great

8:47 PM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

I still love the magic of Amish quilts...you did a great job on yours. Congrats

3:55 AM  
Blogger Lois R. said...

Just beautiful! And the quilting is gorgeous!

Doesn't everybody have a long-term project like this at some time in her quilting life?

By the way, thanks for stopping by and reading (and occasionally commenting) ;o)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Woo hoo!! Great looking quilt. Good job!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Congtaulations, it is a beautiful classic quilt.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bravo! It was worth the waiting. Lovely colors and beautiful hand quilting.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Very pretty. What size are the squares?

8:36 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Very pretty. What size are the squares?

8:36 AM  
Blogger swooze said...

Nice job. Good for you sticking with it to finish!

2:44 PM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, a hearty congratulations on getting that one done. You were very careful to get it done the way you wanted. Nothing better than Amish colors. Wonder what TATW means from BingoBonnie's post? I know I should be able to figure it out but too many things on my mind to think straight :-).

7:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is a beautiful quilt!

I have always wanted to do an Amish quilt. I really should, because the Amish quilts were the reason I started quilting. I loved them so much, but could never afford one. Here I have been sewing on and off for six years and I haven't made on yet!

This might get me motivated!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Congratulations on your finish. The quilt is lovely and the quilting looks very good.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Congratulations on a great finish Tami. I just love this pattern - the colors just sing on it. Great quilting too. I am glad you took the time to change the border.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Very nicely done trip around the world! I love it.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It is beautiful. I have had all my amish quilt books out lately and am loving the look of the solids together. I love how you used many colors in this!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home