My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

some progress made

I'm working really hard to get out of my slump. I pulled out a UFO this week that was all pinned and sandwiched and started machine quilting it. I worked about an hour on it on Wednesday which made me feel pretty good. I have it laying across my ironing board so I will continue to work on it before starting any new quilt project. I'll post a picture when I finish.
Notice I put the stress on the quilt project. It hasn't kept me from starting new knitting projects. It was really cold last week and since I have been working from home for the last 8 years I have not really had much need to go out in bad weather. Now that we have moved I have to drive to work and then walk from the parking garage to the office. I found that I really need a hat so I started one yesterday. I finished up the knitting this morning and wanted to get it felted so I can wear it tomorrow. I had a few of the purses laying around that had been knit but not felted so I figured I would do it all at once. Here is everything shaped and drying. I have my purses shaped on computer programming books covered with a cotton dish towels and the hat is on a wadded up ball of plastic bags. I have been having a great time with all this knitting. I just need to find a felted mitten pattern so I can make a pair to go with my hat.
I have a new project I have been thinking about in my "spare" time. While checking out a Teddy Bear shop on our trip to New Jersey after Christmas (which I try to do whenever I travel :o)) I found this really cool feather tree with fence. I agonized over it since it would be out for such a short time each year, but finally let DH talk me into it by promising myself I would decorate if for year round then change it up for Christmas. I have had a few ideas of primitive decorations that I could make to put on it, but haven't really come up with anything I love yet. It is currently sitting on the end of my kitchen counter with one lone teddy on it and a couple sitting under it. I have found a spot upstairs where kittens are not allowed to go and am looking for a low table to hold it permanently. As soon as I finish quilting my UFO I am going to make a quilt to go under it then start on ornaments. Anyone have any ideas for neat ornaments?
Happy Birthday to my Mom who had a really good post-chemotherapy checkup on Friday. :o)

10 Comments:

Blogger Carol E. said...

I love the hat, and congratulations to your mom.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

That is a really cool tree. You could decorate it with seasonal and hand made decorations. Hand crocheted, stitched, old and antique stuff. What is it made from? Is it made from feathers. It is so great, I can see why you bought it.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Great news on yur mom! Love your hat...the tree is so cute, can't wait to see how you decorate it.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Cute little tree -- it will be fun to have out all year. Glad to hear of your mom's good appointment -- good news is always welcome *s*

9:36 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

I'd vote for the seasonal decorations...hearts for valentines day, shamrock, an easter treee. Will that keep you busy enough? Of course you could just stay with the bear theme...
Sio

6:01 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Good for you for getting some quilting done. A little bit at a time will add up tremendously if you keep it up. The hat looks pretty and warm.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Look at all that felting! such a cute hat!!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Great looking hat. Thanks for explaining what you were doing. At first I was thinking it a mite odd to put a knitted something on your wash soap box (lava - that's what it looked like to me). =)

For your tree - some knitted or stuffed felt hearts? Wonderful wired ribbon tied into bows? Some hand embroidered and stuffed squares?

5:14 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Working my way through the Stash Quilts Ring to say Hi. Your work is lovely!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I just finished knitting my son a pair of felted mittens tonight! Pattern info is on my blog... fits all sizes. I changed the pattern a bit and will share details when I post a photo. Your hat and bags are great - I like making those felted bags too!

Cheers!

Evelyn

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home