My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

the joys of an old house

I think because Spring is coming DH is starting to get ready to tackle some of the many, many projects involved with maintaining this old house. We spent Saturday going to architectural salvage yards. We were hoping to find a replacement for our front door. We are going to have to completely tear this out and rebuild the framing and the windows. I think you can see the damage at the bottom of the door. It's sitting on a granite threshold and isn't sealed. The door is not original and is actually put together from 2 smaller doors. Whoever did it didn't do it in a stable way. Where the seam is it bows in. We didn't find a door that we liked and was in good enough shape to use. DH would have had to rebuild any of them so we decided he will just rebuild this one. We also looked for thumb latches, registers and soapstone sinks. We didn't end up with anything except for a new understanding of just how much this is going to cost. :o/ I am lucky that DH is very handy and can do a lot of the work himself. Now if he can only find the time.
My Valentines Day present from Gail Wilson Designs arrived this weekend. I have been wanting these ornaments for a couple of years. I am going to ask for the rest of them at upcoming holidays. My little doll is 3 1/4 inches tall and the detail is amazing. I just love miniature things.

7 Comments:

Blogger quiltpixie said...

its amazing just how exppensive restoration work can be... too bad you couldn't find something you liked. :-(

1:57 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

I love browsing the architectural salvage store - so many nifty things. You never know what you will find or what you can make from them.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Lois R. said...

Wow! With my non-handy husband, I'll take my vintage 1973 house and an occasional contracter. I do love to browse salvage yards though.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Good luck with re-making your door.
The Gail Wilson ornaments are lovely - I am looking forward to see yours :-)

10:43 AM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

The front door made from two doors (not well) is very interesting nonetheless. Can we see a photo of your stoop? Did you actually see any soapstone sinks?? Love old houses but you have to be strong like you and your husband to inhabit one.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Carole said...

You and I have lots in common. Our home is 150 yrs old plus. We renovate every year. DH is also handy and does amazing cabinetry. Our door will need to be replaced also, but not this year. Keep well and happy quilting!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

The door looks well worn. We have a old house too 1912. I always find things to fix. Good luck with reno's.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home