My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, November 06, 2006

collection

I'm a little late on this post, but Nancy asked for pictures of what we collect. Ever since I was little I have loved Teddy Bears. Every Christmas, birthday or other special occasion everyone knows what they can get me that I will love. I have brought one or more from most of my trips. When I was selling Longaberger I found a great place in Dresden that I went to when I was at the Bee where the woman made them herself. She did a wonderful job and some of my favorites were made by her. You will find bears tucked into every book case, sitting in baskets, cradles and chairs and along all the mantles in my house.
The small chair was a chair my dad got when he was a boy in Sunday School. It's perfect for a mohair bear that I found at a garage sale. That is one of the bears from Dresden, OH sitting on his lap. On top of my jelly cupboard is the bear I brought from Monaco when DD was in a ballet program there. The one in the chair my DH gave me a couple of Christmases ago.
In this book case is another bear from Dresden with the red basket. The mohair one on the shelf above is actually made by Pleasant Company for one of their American Girl dolls. When DD was into those I came across this when I was looking for Christmas presents for her one year and I "helped" DH with some of his shopping and this was in my stocking.
This is just a very small sampling of the bears that live in my house. You may notice that none of my bears are wearing clothes. I like mine to look more like bears and you always see bears in the wild holding a Longaberger basket don't you? ;cD

10 Comments:

Blogger quiltpixie said...

is the rest of your collect the soft cuddly pluch type too or do you have ceramic teddy bear ornaments and such as well??

11:16 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Your bears are adorable and give such a homey touch. I don't know about bears in the wild with longaberger baskets, but they all definitely have bows around their necks!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing your bears. I think if I hadn't gotten into cats when I was a child I could have very easily started collecting bears as I also have a soft spot for them.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Your bears are so cute. It's fun to see them peeking out here and there -- just keeping an eye on everything *s*

10:03 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

Your bears look very happy in their home!
Sio

4:22 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Your teddies are great! At first, I thought the collection was your books. =)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

Ohhh how darling! Thank you for sharing.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your bears! My daughter, who is now in her thirties, has been collecting bears since she was a young teen. It's a great collectible. One of the bears at my house is holding a little quilt and another one has an antique bow tie around his neck. Love your baskets too!

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most discriminating bears would have longaberger baskets, yes. I love both. If Norma sees this, she will know what a longaberger basket for sure now! They don't have them in BC and I sent her to the website to check them out! I enjoyed a fall bus trip to Dresden from IL once--lovely town.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I like your collection of bears, but more importantly I like how you have displayed them. You have a beautiful house. I have stuffed animals, and they just sit on a shelf all crowded together - the rest are in a big basket.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home