My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, May 08, 2006

i wish there were more hours in the day

I am feeling very overwhelmed by the amount of work that still needs to be done before we can move. DS is going to graduate on June 4 and we were supposed to be in the new house a week after that. It doesn't look like that is going to happen since this house isn't even on the market yet. It's very hard to sell an empty house. I have been trying to pack things that will make this one look less cluttered (my basic decorating style is clutter) and get them to the other house while leaving enough here so it looks inhabited. So far all I seem to have done is make a mess of 2 houses instead of 1.
Last weekend we took a load over including the lawn mower. DH mowed the lawn while I started unpacking. :o) That was very exciting. Everything we had taken over so far had just been put in it's appropriate room still in it's box. There are some built in bookshelves in the living room so I washed all the shelves and started unloading boxes of books. I got a couple of shelves filled and started on the bookcase we brought for the dining room. Everyone keeps books in their dining room don't they? After I finished putting the books away I put my teddy bear that always lives on my staircase on the step. :D Now it's home.
I also spent an hour or so washing down the walls and shelves in the pantry so now it's ready to start moving some of the kitchenware we can live without for a month or so. This is in the corner of the kitchen beside the firepalce. I think the first realtor we looked at the house with thought I was loony because I got all excited by this pantry. I love old houses because they always have these little built in cubby hole type things. I really dislike wasted space. I know, now y'all think I'm loony too. It is going to be a very useful space though. I hate appliances on the countertop. I'm going to put all our small appliances in there as well as canned goods and items that we don't use as often like the wok. I'll get a picture after it's full. You're going to love it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda C said...

I truly do not envy you the task of moving---such a chore on both ends of the deal. All that packing, unpacking and cleaning!

When we moved to AL and my husband went to look at slightly larger house 6 months later, I was in tears and dug in my heels that I had worked too long and too hard for him to even consider moving again so soon. I did practically all the packing and tossing--except for his closet and even parts of the garage. We are still here, LOL.

8:13 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I too prefer not to have small appliances out... & I love places to put places (like pantries!) or corner shelves.... "Built-ins"

9:19 AM  
Blogger  Jeanne said...

Oh, Tami -- I hear you on the packing!!! We've been here more than 20 years, and every time we even talk about moving I just get overwhelmed! Your new house sounds soooooo wonderful!
Jeanne :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

it is overwhelming to pack and move and unpack...just keep plugging away and it should all work out!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I love pantrys! I grew up in a house with a seperate summer kitchen - talk about pantry! And, I hate kitchen appliances everywhere - I like those kitchen garages. Oh, maybe just no kitchen at all is my style?

I think everyone should move every few years - or pretend that they are - a great way to de-clutter! You will get it all sorted out in the end - your new house is going to be wonderful.

Cheers!

Evelyn

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home