My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, October 18, 2010

let's start at the very beginning

This has been a very eventful week here in Maine. Tuesday morning I showed up for a normal day at work and first thing I was called to a conference room to be told that my position was being terminated. You know that dropping feeling you get in your stomach when you just can't believe something is happening? That was me. I gave my all to my job, working nights and weekends. Spending multiple Mother's Day weekends at client sites. Having to have relatives pack for a move because I had to travel to take care of a client emergency. You would think your job would be there for you. Not so. I do think in this case they may have made a grave error in judgment. We had a very small and close office and no one can believe that I was let go. I was an effective, dedicated and loyal employee going more than the extra mile in most cases. I was a go to person who people came to for help. The remaining employees are seeing that it doesn't matter how hard you work, the company has no loyalty. I know of a number who are now updating their resumes and starting a job hunt.
I spent Wednesday making phone calls and I already have a few leads on new jobs. Some good friends (former employees who have left and have been trying to get me to leave for years) have told me I will be much happier in the end. I already feel less stressed.
Soooo what do you do when you lose your job??? You go sewing machine shopping of course! I have actually been looking for a while. My Bernina 1230 has some issues that I have tried to have fixed, but the fixes doesn't seem to hold. After the fiasco with my Bernina 200 I am not attached to the brand as I used to be. I looked at Juki, Pfaff, Janome, Elna and Bernina. In the end I really liked this BabyLock Quest Plus (ignore the mess). It has all of my minimum requirements plus some extras I was really impressed with. It came with this extension table complete with seam guides etched in. Love it! There is also a built in walking feed. It's smooth and solid making for a nice stitch. I used it to put together my October Road blocks today. Very easy to keep a 1/4" stitch.
And for a pleasant change, I'm thinking this must be some sort of good omen. On Tuesday I got an email from LaVieEnRosie saying I had won some cool wool and linen cuts for posting on the Fall-o-ween blog hop. I never win anything so this is a good sign. They arrived in yesterday's mail so I had 2 exciting packages to open last night. She also included this nice tray from Ikea. I love Ikea and I can never go because it is too far so I was excited to have this cool little catch all. It took me 5 tries to get this picture without a kitty in it. They must have liked the smell of whatever finish is on the fabric.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

Oh Tami such bad news about your job I hope you find a new one very soon.......
great to soften the blow with a new machine.......go stitch........

3:16 AM  
Blogger antique quilter said...

oh Tami sorry to hear this but like you said so many said you needed to leave there. I am so happy that you have a few leads and before you know it you will be back at work. good luck in the mean time enjoy those days off and quilt!!!! knit and just take some time for yourself.
Kathie

4:39 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Really, losing a job is not the end. Believe me, I know. I once interviewed for my own job and didn't get it. How's that for company loyalty? They had someone in mind and it wasn't me. I ended up in a different position and 6 months later the other division was tanked. I no longer work in corporate but am in a small business as the girl friday. I am sooooo much happier. You, too, will land on your feet.

4:45 PM  
Blogger suz said...

I am so sorry, I was in that spot years ago when the dot-com era died, so I know exactly how you feel. I'm in an industry that has had a reputation for being a great place to work... now, however staff in all similar companies is getting laid off or no raises (my second year, although my bosses probably get bonuses that are 2, 3, 4 times my yearly gross salary). I had to smile and say "no problem" because I'm over 60 and I know once I'm let go I'll have a very difficult time getting another job...and I'm not alone. I'm glad you have some leads and will certainly keep you in my prayers.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Howdy said...

Sorry to hear about the job! Good luck in your search... and in the mean time... Happy Stitching!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home