My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

no finish, but some progress

I am not going to get a project finished for the second month in a row. I have made some progress and should be on track for a couple of finishes next month.
I got the borders on my Jo's Club basket quilt. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. We got a packet of fat quarters with our registration. I used almost every last bit of the outer border fabric. See those bits of selvage on the edge? It's within a 1/4 inch, but just barely.
These socks are ready to knit the cuffs. I should be able to finish them up in an hour or so if I have some dedicated knitting time. These are knit 2 at a time, toe up, on one 40" long circular needle with this free online pattern. Since I tried this method I have used it almost exclusively. I just love finishing both socks at the same time. It's also nice to have the option of just making the leg shorter if you find you are running low on yarn instead of finding out halfway through the second sock. JudyL is planning a November knit along for socks. There are a lot of people who are anxious to try sock knitting. I would recommend this method. It is a little fiddly getting them started, but after you get going I think it's much easier and faster.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I considered the magic loop method when I was doing my research but like having my heel and instep on different needles. Like you, I'm sold on 2 at a time!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

I love your little basket quilt. So nicely done.

12:04 AM  
Blogger antique quilter said...

love the little basket quilt ah yes I have done that too and the selvage fabric won't show once you put on the binding!
socks look great I love the idea of doing them this way so you can make them longer if you have the yarn.
I find knitting like this relaxing...
just keep knitting rows don't have to think till the heel!
Kathie

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home