My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Friday, December 19, 2008

winter in maine

I finally did it... read all of the unread posts I had backed up in bloglines. Last weekend, at a most inconvenient time so close to Christmas, we lost power for more than 3 long days due to an ice storm. We have wood stoves, so we don't get too cold as long as we keep feeding the fire, but since we have a private well that means no water. No flushing. No shower. We can buy water for drinking and cooking, but it is very inconvenient trying to take care of the rest.
You start to get really creative. On Friday I couldn't work from home without power and DH couldn't work because his office didn't have power so we drove into my office which did have power and both showered there. I sent DH off to do some Christmas shopping while I worked. By Saturday his office was powered up so we went in there. I packed up my small ironing board and sewing machine and got some Christmas presents sewn while he worked a few hours and we both showered there.
By Sunday the adventure had totally worn off. I had managed to make my Christmas fudge on the cookstove, but we lost all the food in both the fridge and freezer. I had finished all my unread books and I had more Christmas stuff to make. We couldn't do the laundry, vacuum or get groceries. We were just debating where we were going to shower when we saw the bucket truck arrive and shine the spotlight on the pole that we have learned holds the key to power at our house. Every time power goes off in this area everyone on the way to our house has power. We are the first house after an intersection and everyone from that intersection North has power and our side of the intersection is dark. It is very demoralizing when you see the house in the field behind your house lit up with Christmas lights and I can't even sew.
We were both so excited, watching them carefully to make sure they didn't get away. Not sure what we would have done, but we were desperate at that point and I think if they had tried to leave we might have at least tried to go after them. After the bucket went up and down once or twice our house sprang to life. I quickly ran upstairs and grabbed a load of laundry while DH started vacuuming. Then showers. You really appreciate the luxury of a shower in your own house after a few days of packing everything up to simply get clean. DH says he is going to call his friend the electrician and we are getting a generator. ;D

2 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Oh, I do feel so sorry for you. We went through similar circumstances once when Hurrican Hugo passed through our area - but at least that was not during a major holiday or during the freezing cold. I am happy you got your power back for Christmas. Merry Christmas!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Oh dear, I hope the power holds for you as you finish up your holiday preparations. I grew up in an all electric house - complete with well and pump, so I know just what you have gone through. Glad to know you are back on the grid. Merry Christmas!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home