My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

vacation is a wonderful thing

Oh, I have had a busy, busy week. Son home from college, Thanksgiving, 3 days vacation, SSCS sent off and the best Black shopping weekend I have ever had.
I put the binding on my niece's quilt and finished that project up. I made a doll quilt for the daughter of our adopted family at work. She asked for a baby doll and what is a doll without a doll quilt. These 2 projects with the baby quilt from last week put me 1 over what I had committed to for Finn's finish challenge. Woo hoo! I have also gotten a number of Christmas presents into various stages of completion. Things are going pretty well in the Christmas readiness department.
I just spent the best, first Christmas shopping weekend ever. I totally avoided the stores and took a 3 day beginning weaving class! Finally, I learned how to use my new/old loom. It was determined in the class that I got a great deal. Every time a tool or gadget was mentioned, it was something I received with my loom. It became a joke. We only found 1, totally optional, item that if I want to use I will have to buy. I came home from the class having learned how to warp, calculate materials, fix the most common errors, different ways to remove projects and how to do 6 different styles of weaving. I need quite a bit of practice to neaten up my selvages and make things more even. There was one rug weaving type I will probably never do again, but all of the others I already have projects swimming around in my head. I'm not sure when I am going to have time to actually weave, but I really enjoy it. Some day I am going to retire. I will have lots and lots to do.
Oops. I almost forgot my stash report:
fabric in none
fabric out 10 1/2 yards.

5 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

And a pretty doll quilt it is! I need to make one of those for my granddaughter. She just loves her dolls and is the best mommy to them. I tell my daughter that is a compliment to her as a mother that her daughter takes such good care of her babies.

Oh how I would love to have the loom. I have thought many times about taking a weaving class. I can't wait to see what you make on your loom.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

The quilt for the baby doll is a wonderful thought!

Good for you for taking the weaving class. You do have a beautiful loom. I just had to move mine into an unheated part of the house to make room for the Christmas tree. I haven't had time to weave in a long time, but I do find it very relaxing once I get into the rhythm of it! I've had my LeClerc since I was 14!

Cheers!
Evelyn

7:56 AM  
Blogger antique quilter said...

so nice that you made a quilt to go with the doll you bought. this will be something she will treasure forever I bet.
thanks for taking the time to do that.
Kathie

8:44 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

What a great idea to give a dolly and her quilt. That's going to be one happy little girl *s*
Sounds like a fun class with tons of info. Can't wait to see what comes from the loom.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

What a cute doll. I have 3 doll quilts made but haven't been able to find the dolls I'd like to go with them. I'm going to have to look harder.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home