My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, June 11, 2007

will it help if we cry uncle?

This has not been a good year at our house. My FIL passed away on Friday morning. He had a heart attack before my mother died and had developed pneumonia. He was recovering well and had spent 2 months in a rehabilitation facility. The day he was scheduled to go home he was taken back to the hospital with stomach pains. Last Monday he had another heart attack and elected to go with conservative treatment. He was 86 had heart problems, emphysema and a lot of other medical issues, so it was not unexpected, but still difficult.
It has been made more difficult by Contintal Airlines. I am going to rant on about airlines so if you would like to skip feel free I just feel the need to vent. I am currently waiting for DH to get home from New Jersey where his parents have been living with one of his sisters. DH was scheduled to fly out on Continental Friday night at 6:30. As I was trying to check him in online his itinerary changed to leaving Saturday afternoon at 2:30. No one talked to us they just changed it. I called customer support. They were rather surly until I explained that my FIL had passed away that morning, so they put him on the 6am Saturday. This meant we had to get up at 4. He made it fine, but tired. His return flight was scheduled for tonight at 8:30pm. He got there, checked in and was waiting at the gate when they cancelled the flight. They said because of thunderstorms so they did not have to do anything for him. I checked online radar and there were NO major storms between Newark and here. They rescheduled him on a flight to Manchester ENGLAND instead of NH. Luckily, he noticed their error before he got on the plane that was supposed to leave at 9:20. He was to land over an hour ago, but last check of the Manchester airport flight schedule says he isn't going to arrive for another hour and a half which probably means they haven't left yet. There were a number of other disgruntled passengers who were also being rerouted with him and they were going to rent a car together and drive to Maine. He HATES phones and sees no reason to carry one with him so I have no idea when he will be here or if I am going to have to pick him up anywhere.

UNCLE! UNCLE!

18 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

My 75 year old Mom always tells me ' bad things happen in threes", I hope you're done... Hang in there kiddo.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Oh - for the love of Pete! Airlines are so frustrating - not a thought to customer service. I have whittled down to just a couple that I will fly because they seem to at least try *s*

So sorry to hear about your FIL. I'll be thinking of you.

10:09 AM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

Take a deep breath...

Sorry you're having to go thru this, but I promise, it will pass.

Hugs!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

So sorry about your Father in Law.

You seem to always have your fair share of airline difficulties. I can't believe that the airline can just reschedule flights without any regard to the people who are involved. Not a very good business practice.

Hopefully this is the end of it. Good thoughts sent you way :))

12:51 PM  
Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

Boy, sometimes you just can't buy a break. I hope that things settle down and that you'll be able to have some peace in your home during this sad time.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Sorry about your father in law and completely hearing you about the planes!
On a lighter note i love the finished bag, well done, Tracey

3:37 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I am so sorry about your father in law. You have been through a lot lately.

I don't generally fly continental, because there are less expensive airlines here, but I haven't had problems with them. There were a lot of problems this weekend, something about computer difficulties or some electrical problem or thunderstorms, out west. I'm not quite sure why that would affect us, but everything is interconnected airlines wise. Several people who were coming to the college orientation weren't able to make it.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your FIL it is always sad although it is not unexpected.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

I'm sorry to hear of your difficult times. Just know that things will get better and we are all out here thinking good thoughts for you.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Uncle indeed! ((((HUGS)))) to you and hoping the rest of your year has only good times.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Oh noo, I am so sorry to read this. Hughs and thinking of you

10:15 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

So sorry that an already trying and emotional time had to be compounded with sheer stupidity and lack of compassion. Hopefully he got home safe and sound. It's just rediculous.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

What an airline nightmare! It seems to get worse all the time. I haven't flown anywhere in a year, and don't plan to fly United again after *that* experience. I usually fly Southwest, but I'm changing my lifestyle so I don't have to fly anywhere. I'll drive, or take a train!

1:07 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I meant to say that I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. It does seem you've had your share for a while.

1:08 AM  
Blogger mereth said...

I understand exactly how you feel, last year my mother and FIL died in the same week and it took a while to get over.But it's never easy no matter what the timing.

Thank good ness your husband questioned the flight or they would have had to fly him back from England! What a mess, how can they run a business like that?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

think of you...take care....

6:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Oh Tami - consider yourself ((HUGGED)). I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has been almost 2 months since you left a comforting comment on my blog. Today I am finally able to spend sometime reading blogs and I'm sorry to hear of yet another loss in your family so soon after you've lost your mother.
Blessings,
Cheryl

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home