My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

i loved my day off

I was a whirlwind today. Or at least a very stiff breeze. I took the day off because life was getting away from me. I had told my dad I would make some business calls that he had been having a problem with. He couldn't quite get the hang of the "press 1 for....". Sometimes navigating those menus is so confusing especially when you have never done it before. Well, with my work hours and their office hours I hadn't been able to get them accomplished. I had tons of other things that I wanted to get done so I decided that a day off would do me a world of good.
After the phone calls were accomplished my day was open. This is the before picture of my sewing room. It had gotten to the point I couldn't get anything done. I had a small area on the ironing board that I was using, but I had to move things every time I needed to use it. Same with my cutting surface. It's by no means completely organized, but I at least feel I can get going on the Jo Morton project for the shop and finish up at least the leaf quilt on the design wall. :c/
I also finished up the wool applique projects I promised pictures of yesterday. These were taken with my new camera. It takes much better close up shots than my old one. I have 14 days to decide if I like it so I am trying to take loads of pictures just to be sure. I did find one flaw, although I think it's probably me because it is supposed to take pictures really quickly in succession, but I tried to get some pictures of the kitties and by the time the picture would snap they would have moved. I ended up with a lot of pictures of Misty's nose because she would come to see what I was doing and Dusky's back because he would move on to something else. Maybe I should read the instructions?

16 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Wow - what a great space for you sewing room.
When I got my camera, I was going to read ALL of the instructions to learn the functions inside and out. Why did it have to be TWO volumes? I made it through 40 pages of the first book. Now I don't even know where they are *s* Have fun *s*

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you come help me clean my room? Love that leaf quilt! :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

You've got a super sewing space. Your before picture is cleaner than my current space! And of course the after picture looks wonderful. Looks like you'll be able to get loads more accomplished now!
Yeah, I can't find my camera manual either. I think it is like with everything else - I use a few functions, and forget that I have others I could be using.

7:32 PM  
Blogger atet said...

What a busy and productive day! Do you make house calls to the midwest?

Oh, and I'd say read the manual. Reminds me, I need to re-read my own!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

Everyone deserves a day off, and you sure did make the most of yours! I love the wool applique, wonderful!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Carole said...

Glad to read that you were able to enjoy a "me" day! Those are always fun! Your sewing room looks sweet! I think it's so wonderful that you get to do samplers for your friend's quilt shop. The wool applique looks beautiful. Happy quilting!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your sewing room! Looks like lots of things are happening in there. Thanks for visiting my blog.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Isn't it nice to have a day to catch up and get organized, even if it doesn't last. Your room looks great and ready to sew...sew...sew...
Love the wool applique projects you've done.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I love the "new and improved" sewing area!

11:41 PM  
Blogger keslyn said...

Well done, bet you feel great to acheive so much in the day, your sewing room looks wonderful, I am sure lots would be jealous of that space.
Kerry

4:11 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

The small digital cameras usually have a lag time of up to3-4 seconds - you just have to plan for the lag when taking a photo and move the camera forward to about where you think your moving subject will be in a few seconds. Same with trying to get an action shot - shoot the photo 3-4 seconds before the photo you really want (for example - my son going to jump over a puddle, blowing out birthday candles, etc.). By the time the camera takes the photo - your subject/action might be where you really wanted them to be originally! I have a small digital and love it. My husband uses a very expensive BIG digital that you don't have to worry about all that stuff with - and he loves it - but we never have it with us for those special candids because it is so big. Experiment and I am sure you and your new camera will get along just fine!

Great sewing space, by the way.

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:23 AM  
Blogger Rose Marie said...

Jeepers, where were you when I cleaned my room yesterday? I'm happy with my space now as you are with yours!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I agree with Evelyn, cats are horrid subjects if awake! They move past the lag time!

What a great job on your day off! Your room got clean and you made some fantastic stuff. That's what started my whole re-do, I couldn't move in the room!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

What a wonderful big sewing space you have - and it looks great after your cleaning job. Love, love, love! all the baskets hanging from the ceiling. Only one thing I don't see - where is your stash? :-)

There should be a setting on your camera just for quick pictures. I just found mine last weekend. It has a picture that looks like a person doing some sort of sport. Of course, reading the manual is probably the best thing to do. :-)

2:50 PM  
Blogger sara, the house of charm said...

I love the rabbit on the wool in the last photo. Gosh your space is soo huge!! I don't even have a sewing room, I have to use the dinning room table! i am really enjoying your blog, best! -Sara

3:29 PM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love your sewing room, how do you hang the baskets? Do they all have projects in them?
Leaf quilt is gorgeous1 Tracey

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home