My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

now you see him now you don't

Well, we were able to enjoy DS's company for 6 days. He flew out early this morning to meet a cruise ship where he is going to be working for the summer as a deck hand. Because of his broken leg back in August he was unable to do the summer cruise he was supposed to do for school. He decided he should get a job having something to do with his course of study and started applying to everything he could find. This cruise line had actually been to his school looking for summer workers. He had a phone interview on Friday and they hired him right then. We faxed his paperwork last night and he was on a plane bright and early this morning ready to start work today. Here he is all ready to go. I would like to say the messy room was due to his packing in a hurry, but honestly his room has always looked like someone picked it up and shook it like a snow globe. I guess he wasn't as anxious to get home as he was to get away from school. :oD
Last weekend was my friend's open house. I delivered an appliqued wool beehive mug rug for another sample, but I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pictures. :c\ It was the best day the shop has ever had. It would be amazing if I was able to say that I was good and resisted the urge to buy fabric on sale, but my willpower has never been very strong so I made my contribution to her bottom line. She had marked bolts that had been around for a while at $4.00 a yard and fat quarters were buy one get one free. I didn't go particularly overboard, but here is my haul. I'm so excited for her. She is so happy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sweet P said...

What a fun job for your son. What cruise line is working for and where will he be cruising?

I like the fabrics you bought.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Wow! Summer job on a cruise ship! Why didn't I ever think of that!?! Beats scoopin' Rocky Road down at the Tastee Freeze! Nice lookin' loot from the quilt store!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

How great for your son to have such a summer adventure. When our daugther moved away we thought we would need a backhoe to clear our her room . . . now days she is just as neat as can be. There's hope *S*

4:48 PM  
Blogger atet said...

Wow -- at those prices you showed remarkable restraint! Great haul.

How fun for your son -- I always wished I had taken those kinds of opportunities/risks when I was in college. I'm glad to hear about students who are willing to do it.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Anne Heidi said...

Best of luck to your son. It sounds like a perfect summer job! I'm so happy to hear your friend is doing good with her shop, as I will be opening my shop within a month now (scary...)

3:03 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Sounds like your son has an exciting summer planned. And I think you showed remarkable restraint at the quilt shop if that's all you purchased!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Looks like you found some beautiful fabrics - and at good prices!

I hope your son loves his sumemr job.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

My son never stays home long, either. He came over after work on Friday and wasn't even going to stay for dinner. I think he stayed to eat with us just to please me. It worked! He was eager to get back "home," though. He is now living in his first rental home with friends, and loves it!

12:15 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

Your son will have a great time with this job. (I love your description of his room - a snow globe! VBS!)

Glad to hear your friend's open house went well!

5:10 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Working on a cruise ship sounds like fun, I'll bet that will be an adventure for your son.
I can't imagine how great it would be to have a good friend that owns a quilt shop, what luck!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home