My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

my new reality

As we go through life things change and life as you knew it is no longer your reality. Changes can be so overwhelming and adjustments are made as you move along. As this happens you have a new reality that becomes the norm and you forget what life was like before. I was 12 when I first had to deal with loss. My father's father died. My grandparents had always traveled to Florida for winters so I simply pretended that he was there. Gradually, I was able to adjust to that new reality. Over the years my other 3 grandparents have passed on one at a time and reality changed. As DD moved so far away to dance we had to adjust to being without her. DS off to college. Empty nest reality. I feel I took most of these things in stride with a sense of sadness and a few tears. My newest reality, however, is not so easily adjusted to. My mom passed away very early on Easter morning. Even though we have known since she was diagnosed this was a possible reality there was always hope and something that could be done to possibly avert it.
My mom was only 68 and had been healthy, active and took good care of herself and her family all her life. She loved camping, kayaking, almost anything outdoors. She was a good, caring person and well respected in the small community where she had lived since she married my dad almost 50 years ago. She was a teacher's aide in the elementary school. Deciding she would like to be a teacher she put herself through college summers and evenings to get her teaching certificate. She graduated sum cum laud and taught 5th grade for a number of years. When she retired from that she worked as interim Postmaster filling in on weekends and days off in the small town where I grew up. She was very supportive of our church serving for years as treasurer and teaching in the Sunday school. When I was growing up there were maybe 3-5 families who went to church regularly. Over the last 20 or so years the congregation had grown so that the pews are nearly full every Sunday and she was so happy and proud of that. Her passing has left a huge void in our lives as well as the lives of the people in the communities she was a part of.
I feel most of the good parts of me are because of her and the way she raised me.

26 Comments:

Blogger Kim West said...

I am very sorry for your loss

11:58 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like she was one in a million.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, my dear friend! I'm so sorry to hear this. ((((HUGS))))) to you!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you and with your family. It sounds you have great memories of your mum to cherish. It is maybe of some help.
Take care.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

I offer my deepest condolescence. I am so sorry to read about your mom. Sending you cyber ((((hugs)))
Take care.

2:53 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

Memories last forever Tami.

Many Hugs,
Fitzy

7:55 PM  
Blogger Sweet P said...

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

What a wonderful tribute for your mother.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Tami, I am so sorry.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thinking of you..........

2:45 AM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

Gosh Tami, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts hon.
*big hugs*
Tazzie

4:50 AM  
Blogger KC Quilter said...

Oh, Tami, I am so sorry to hear that. But it sounds like she had an amazing life and that you were so proud of her. Take care and know that your blogger friends are thinking of you.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

I am so so so sorry. Your Mum sounds like a wonderful person. How lucky you are to have had such a role model. You're in my thoughts....

10:19 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a hard one, so close a bond to be altered - not broken, just changed- a mother/child love is forever.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

She sounds like she was a wonderful woman. I hope that you can gain strength from her faith and yours. My prayers are with you.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Your Mom Memories are such heartwarming ones. I hope they soothe the sadness of loss and give you comfort in the days ahead. She must have been a treasure to all whose lives she touched. [[[Hugs]]]

2:05 PM  
Blogger Knot Garden said...

I'm so sorry to read about your loss. It sounds as though your mother was a lovely person.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your mom. I am sending you hugs and prayers today my friend.
dawn

7:59 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's passing. Your heartwarming memorial to her was wonderful. You will be in my prayers.

(Hugs)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Tami, I am so sorry. I know how your heart must ache, my own dear mother passed away just a couple of weeks ago...the pain of lossing a dear friend is deep.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Tami, I'm just getting caught up with reading everyone's blogs and am so sorry to hear of your Mom's death. You and your family are in my thoughts.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Tami, I'm so sorry for your loss and your new reality. Your mom left behind a wonderful legacy and you have very fond memories, as well as being able to attribute so much of your goodness to her. Sounds like she touched many lives in a positive way.

I never know what to say that will help -- just know I'll be thinking of you often!

8:17 PM  
Blogger SuBee said...

It's so hard to imagine this world without them....
(((hugs)))

10:41 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

I am so sorry for your loss Tami. Sending soft hugs your way!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. The wonderful memories of her life will help when you are feeling sad. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I know I'm late saying this - I just saw this post - but I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing my mother.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

So sorry to catch up and read that your mom passed away. I went through the same disbelief when my Dad died after a stroke, although I prayed for it. At the moment it's still a shock. I hope it gets better. It will take along time, but it will get easier.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home