My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, April 30, 2007

samples and socks

My friend Jan bought the LQS that opened a couple of years ago where we just moved from. She had been working there since it opened. The owners had become disenchanted and asked if she wanted to buy it. She always thought it could do much better than it had been. For some reason, which I don’t understand, the old owners didn't like to buy stock. The thread display was consistently out of most of the popular colors. They had gotten in a few new lines, but most of the fabric in the store had been there since they opened, had the same look and they didn't add often. There would be a sample made and they would sell out of the pattern or book and not restock that. Well Jan was only too happy to take it over. She has owned it 6 weeks now and is doing just great. The store is busy ALL the time.
One of the improvements she is trying to make is asking advice from her friends on what fabrics to buy. Since I don’t live close anymore I don’t get to help out with that as much as I would like, but 2 weekends ago there was a New England fabric representatives show in Massachusetts and she asked if I would like to go. That was right after my mom had died and I definitely needed a distraction. I had the BEST time. We bought a few complete lines and had a great time making our own collections from some others. I was able to help purchase over 200 bolts of fabric and it didn't cost me a dime. :cD The new stock that we ordered has started to come in and Jan asked if I would make some samples. Well, you don’t have to ask me twice. Her “I bought the shop” open house is next Saturday and she is holding back to new stock until then and wants to put samples out with it. I went up this weekend and picked up supplies to make a number of things. She is starting to carry hand dyed felted wool and she has no wool appliqué samples. Here is the start to some of what I am making. I’m not going to tell yet what I am doing with these Jo Morton’s. It will be a surprise when it’s finished.
On our trip up we, of course, had to stop at Marden's. I bought very little fabric since I knew I was going to be picking up a number of projects, but……. they had striped sock yarn for 1.99 a skein. How could I pass that up? I don’t know if I have mentioned this before, but I sometimes go on knitting “binges”. That’s the only way I can describe it. For some reason I start and its like I can’t stop. A few years ago I knit 36 cotton dish cloths before it was out of my system. I still have about 6 in my gift box. This past Christmas it was felted bags. I now have 4 of each size finished to give away. Yesterday, when I should have been making samples (don’t tell Jan), I couldn't stop myself from knitting socks. I finally had to force myself to stop and get those wool samples started. Now I just wish I could be home today working on my projects.


15 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

How fun to get to buy bolts and bolts of fabric *s* I can't wait to see what you make for shop samples.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Sounds like your'e have so much fun...and fabric shopping on someone else's checkbook.....

12:18 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

How sweet of you to be helping out! It is my dream to open a quilt shop. I understand that it's a lot of work, any business is, but I can't help but think that the work would be somewhat fun since I love quilting! Gosh, that must have been fun to shop and spend someone elses money! ;o) I wish your friend all the best! Have fun!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What fun to get to spend someone else's money and see all the new fabrics. I'm betting Jan is thrilled to have you helping her make samples. Good luck to Jan!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

ooooo..... I love shopping with other people's money! I can relate with your knitting binges. I do the same thing. Last year, it was crocheted afghans: 14 of them! I've also been doing sox since 2003; about 1 pair every 2-3 weeks. They make wonderful gifts if you know the recipient's foot size.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh how fun to buy stock for a shop and not have to pay for it. :-) Can't wait to see what you do with that yummy fabric.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Great post, I'm glad it provided a welcome distraction and was so much fun. The fabric and the flower samples look very enticing. I hope Jan continues to do well in her shop.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Buying 200 bolts and not having to pay for them! Sounds like my kind of trip! I'm jealous of your proximity to Marden's. I miss them out here in the midwest and always make sure to make several stops when I go back home to visit! Beautiful sock yarn!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am knitting one pair of socks at the moment as well, with summer coming along! A binge ?! Never! I wish your friend good luck with the new shop and I am curious to see your projects coming along. Take care.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a lucky girl she is to have you to make samples up for her - I hope she does well with the shop - it sounds like she will do

6:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Your samples look great, and I definitely want to see what happens to the Jo Morton's! What a fun trip. A quilt shop near my best friend's house changed owners like that, and wow, it's going gang-busters since the take-over!

Good luck to your friend.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

Your little wool projects are so cute! Can't wait to see what you do with the JM fabric (or the socks...sshhhh).

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Now that sounds like a dream job! I can't wait to see what you will do with the JM fabric. I love all of her lines.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Sounds fantastic! I wish my stiore carried homespuns and did more kits and bundles!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

I see knitting is one of your passions as well as quilting, your scrappy trails is wonderful

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home