My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, May 14, 2007

a mother's day post

This was a very difficult Mother's Day for me. DS left on Wednesday, DD is currently living in Denver and this is my first Mother's Day without my mom. DH was amazing. He made it a Mother's weekend for me. We pretty much did whatever I wanted all weekend long. Saturday I spent most of my day either sewing or knitting. I got some more done on samples for Jan's shop. I should have them finished to show tomorrow. Very cute if I do say so myself. I am almost finished the first sock that I showed last week and since I can never seem to finish ANYTHING before starting something new I am about halfway up the back of a cotton sweater I'm making for a friend from work. :<\ It was a nice relaxing day.
On Sunday we went for a hike. We had originally thought to go to the White Mountains to hike and have a picnic, but with the price of gas we decided to stay closer to home. I found a trail very close to here that we didn't know was there. It touted views of the White Mountains from the top. Here is the cool bridge at the head of the trail. We made it to the top and this is about all we could see. I think that the description was written by someone who was there in the winter, without leaves, because all we could see was trees. It was a really nice walk though and it was good to get out.
We got back to the house for lunch and a shower as the phone was ringing from DD calling to wish me a Happy Mother's Day. Almost like they planned it, when I hung up with her DS called. It was the first time we had heard from him since the first night after he had left. He is enjoying his work and doing well. The ship is going to be in the yard for a week and he is going to work on it as well. They are leaving next week for Florida and then back. Most of the rest of the summer he is going to spend cruising up and down the Maine coast. He is going to be in port near where we live about once a week. We will be able to see him off and on. He is getting a kick out of the fact that the ship stops in the town where he goes to school. He's not sure what for as there really isn't much there except the college and it's ship. With the Freshmen and Juniors off on cruise the ship isn't even in port for 6 weeks.
We ended our weekend with a shopping trip to get a new computer. Just about 4 days before DS's Fasfa deadline our computer died a painful death. With everything going on we had neglected to print out a copy of the return when we filed. :resurrect it, but this isn't it's first hiccup and it's about 7 years old so we decided it was time for a replacement. While we were out I found a new digital camera. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Tomorrow I will try to get some pictures and see how the new camera performs.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Looked after well, nice to start some new traditions, Tracey

7:04 AM  
Blogger Carole said...

Glad to read that you had a nice mother's day! You friend is so fortunate to have you. I can't wait to your finished samplers. Keep well!

7:30 AM  
Blogger keslyn said...

Glad to hear you had a nice mothers day/weekend. It's hard when our darling children spread their wings and fly,
Kerry

8:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a caring thoughtful husband - bless him :o) they're the best aren't they?

8:50 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Your husband sounds like a doll to make the day so special for you. The hike you took must have been lovely. I lost my mom a few years ago, and I know what you mean about it being a difficult day. It sounds like you have super kids!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Lovely looking trail! If you are ever up Bangor way, I went on the Orono Bog Walk last summer and it was AMAZING. Glad you made it though a difficult day. Hang in there!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Sounds like you had a peaceful weekend. Taking good care of yourself is the beginning of starting a whole new stack of traditions.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home