My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

finally!

Here it is. Finally! I finished my Jo Morton sample for Jan's shop. Had anyone guessed what it was going to be? I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I couldn't get a very good picture of the inside, but there are 5 pockets as well as a carabiner to hold keys. I am very lucky to have a very talented DH who cut a piece of plexiglass to stiffen the base for me.
It took me SO long to finish. I had expected to be done last weekend, but we buried my mom the Thursday before and I just couldn't seem to get my feet back under me. I think it is harder when the burial isn't right after the funeral. My friend, who is originally from Indiana, said she had never heard of waiting after the funeral until she moved here. I guess it is a Maine thing because of the weather. I think the funeral keeps you busy right the death, but then when you have a burial weeks later after you think you have started to heal it just hits you again how much you have lost. I just couldn't seem to get back into the swing of things. Had a lousy week at work and pretty much wasted my time off for Memorial Day weekend.
I did spend some time on Memorial Day planting a memorial garden. DH hates mowing the lawn so had wanted to make some gardens to take up more of the grass area. :-D He cleaned out this area for me under one of the trees. I divided a lot of my mom's shade plants and brought them home. I have to get more as you can see it is pretty sparse so far, but I know it won't take long for those Hosta and Violets to start spreading.

20 Comments:

Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

First I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. It takes some time to come to terms with it. I'm glad you have some of her plants!

The bag looks wonderful.

Take care,

sio

3:48 AM  
Blogger Sweet P said...

Take your time in getting through your mom's death. You are lucky to have some of her plants to put in your yard. They will be helpful in remembering your mother.

Your bag is great. Isn't it a littl heavy with the plexiglass in it?

6:55 AM  
Blogger JoAnna said...

Your memorial garden is a beautiful idea. I hope it always brings you joy and peace.

9:43 AM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

The memorial garden is a fantastic idea!

Hugs~

9:56 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm glad you finally got to lay her to rest and now can start the healing over agin. No I don't think I'd like that at all, but I can see the weather issue...frozen ground and all.

The bga looks great and the garden will be wonderful!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Be gentle on yourself for a while. The hand bag turned out great. Is that a Jo's Little Women project?, I belong to that group at our local quilt store.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Your memorial garden is a wonderful idea - a place to work, reflect and heal yourself. It's hard when you lose a parent - so don't try to hurry yourself.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I'd heard of the practise of having the burial later but living in warm climates all my life I've never had to deal with it myself. To me that would be like re-opening a wound that's barely started to heal. (((HUGS))) to you. I DOES get better I promise! But it takes a long time. It's been 2 years next months since I lost Mama and there's not a day goes by that I don't think about her. But for the most part my grief has passed and I can smile when I see things that remind me of her and rejoice in the wonderful memories I have. You will get there. Just give yourself some time. And enjoy that garden that will make you think of her every time you look at it.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag is gorgeous - I just LOVE the fabrics you chose. Good thoughts with you at this difficult time. You'll get your quilting groove back when it's time.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hi Tami
Good to meet you - Your bag is really great. The idea of a memorial garden is a lovely one and will hopefully help you at this sad time.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother and think your memorial garden is a wonderful way to honor her. Your Jo Morton bag is fantastic! Is there a pattern for it or will it be taught only at the shop? I love Jo's patterns and fabrics.

5:42 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Sorry for your loss of your mom. It will take some time. I love that you have taken some of her plants and made them a part of your garden. Love your blog!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Knot Garden said...

The garden is a lovely idea. It's so nice that you have some of your mother's plants. I think they will give you a sense of continuity. The bag is beautifully made. I'm a big fan of Jo Mrton's designs and fabrics:)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Ohh Tami , this is what you called a perfect tote!

3:27 AM  
Blogger Susan H. said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. Mom's are really hard to lose. Having lost both parents in the last 2 years, while I miss them both, the connection and adult friendship Mama and I developed is sorely missed. Your garden is a lovely way to remember your mom and will bring you pleasure and comfort.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Simonetta said...

Be sorry a lot me to feel of her mother, Tami! Big hug!The garden is a beautiful idea!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

The bag is beautiful! You did such a professional job on it! Sorry you lost your mother. How very sad. When my dad died I was shocked at how much it hurt. We had the burial (of his ashes) several months after the funeral. I liked it that way... gave me time to process the loss and think about what a gift he had been in my life. The wound is still there but not as sore. I miss him, but my thoughts now are more celebratory, of how lucky I was to have him as my dad. Hope the same comes to you in time.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Great idea with the garden..and I've never heard of anyone not being buried straight away either, very sad, Tracey

3:39 AM  
Blogger Marlublu said...

So sorry about your mom. I lost my mom 6 years ago and sometimes it still feels like last week. Keeping busy is the best thing for you. Really like your bag. Nice colors.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

What a stunning bag. Big hugs.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home