My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Monday, January 01, 2007

i need a vacation from my vacation

Happy New Year Everyone!!!
It has been so long since I posted. I have really meant to, but Christmas has just taken all of my time. I have made a resolution this year so this won't happen to me again this coming Christmas. I have resolved to spend the 25th of each month (or the Saturday closest to it) making Christmas presents. Hopefully, next holiday season I will have all of the handmade things complete long before the day, so I can sit back, relax and enjoy the season.
I have tons of pictures to show, including the completed round robins we revealed at our quilting Christmas party.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Mine, although hectic, was very enjoyable. A friend and I always volunteer to do the Adopt-a-Family for our office. A lot of our coworkers choose to donate money instead of gifts so we end up doing a lot of shopping. This year we adopted 2 families and a Senior which was new for us. The Senior said she wanted the gifts delivered by the Salvation Army instead of us so we had to get hers together quickly and to them by the 12th for delivery. We were sorry that we hadn't spent more on her because by the time the donations were all in we ended up with a lot for the other families.
My mom, who is being treated for ovarian cancer, ended up in the hospital a couple of weeks before Christmas. The chemotherapy had depleted her resistance so she got some sort of infection. This put her behind on her shopping so I helped her out a little while we were out shopping for our families. It was also her turn to have the big extended family Christmas, but she didn't feel up to it so we had it here. She was feeling much better by then and is doing very well now.
DD is now living in Denver. Bad year to move to Denver if you want to come home for Christmas. It didn't really turn out to be much of a problem for her because they had a Nutcracker performance on the 24th so she couldn't fly out until Christmas day anyway. She made it out with no problems, but we were worried. A couple of years ago she was living in Indianapolis and flew home the day of the freak 19 inch Midwestern snowstorm. She arrived 12 hours later than she was supposed to and her bags didn't arrive for 3 more days. She learned a valuable lesson about packing a certain amount of necessities into carry on bags. She had no clean clothes and O MY GOODNESS no cell phone charger. If you have ever had to live with a teenage girl who has no cell phone and nothing to wear I think you may have some idea of what we went through. :-D
DD wanted to open presents actually on Christmas and her plane didn't get in until 4:30 pm. So after the extended family Christmas and while DH and DS went to get her I trimmed the tree. By the time we were halfway through opening presents I was exhausted. DD got quite the chuckle out of the fact that I was saying I was ready for bed at about 7:30. I have always been a night person and for me to be up until at least midnight is pretty normal.
We got up the next morning and went to my sister's for yet another Christmas with her family and my parents. Then left early the next day to drive to New Jersey where DH's parents have moved in with one of his sisters. The traffic on the way down was horrible. I think everyone else was headed home after the holidays. The way back wasn't bad, but I feel like I didn't have any vacation at all.
DD and DS were both at friend's houses for New Years Eve so DH and I were home alone. We stayed up until about 12:05 am and then went to bed. Neither of us has really gotten out of our own way today and now we have to go back to work tomorrow. :o( Somewhere in there I used some vacation days...... I wish I felt rested.

8 Comments:

Blogger Patti said...

Seems like that is so often the case - we need to go back to work to rest up from the vacation. Here's wishing you the energy to get through the week!

1chartfp@comcast.net

11:47 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

sounds like a great "catch up" with everyone, but the stress of running here and there can really exhaust you can't it :-) Ah well, work will settle everything back into its routine.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

You made me tired just reading all that. But glad that your daughter was able to get out before all the snow hit in Denver! Sounds like a good holiday, even if you were busy.

Now rest at work and get to bed really early for a few days!!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I always feel like I need a vacation after I take a vacation too!
Your vacation sounded very busy and exhausting. So glad that things worked out well for you, your mother and your daugthter in the end.
And I would appreciate it if you kept your snow storm attracting daughter out of Ohio! LOL

11:30 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I hope you feel rested soon! SO glad your daughter got out of Denver safely- so many of my friends and coworkers had Xmas trips home cancelled by the #$%^%@! snow this year.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

Love your idea of working on Christmas every month on the 25th. I always vow to work ahead, too, but rarely do. Good luck to you on that resolve!

1:09 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I'd be surprised if you didn't feel tired after such a busy time. Quite the pile of gifts under the tree -- that looks exhausting as well.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope January is a little more restful for you.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Happy New Year!

I have a large stash of Christmas fabric and have also decided to set aside the weekend closest to the 25th. Not for sewing Christmas presents but seeing how many Christmas quilts, stockings, table runners, wallhangings, etc I can make to finally deplete that portion of my stash.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home