My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

happy easter

I am thinking we all must be pretty busy recently. I noticed that most of the blogs I read regularly haven't been updated much lately. Probably we all have Spring Fever. We have had some pretty nice days here. We pulled out our grill last week and had steaks one day and hamburgers another. :o)
We have been very busy trying to get DS ready for college, packed for the move and getting this house ready to list for sale. I hope we can get a good price for it, but I am starting to feel like the cosmos are conspiring against us. With the interest rates going up the housing market is going down. We bought when the market was high and are selling when it is low. I see something wrong with this picture. :>/ Also, our neighbor has done something that I am afraid might lower the value of our house even further. We have lived here almost 8 years and this has been a very nice neighborhood, quiet and well kept. Last Wednesday, on my way home from the office, as I turned onto the side street to drive into the garage I see people on the lawn next door setting up HEADSTONES. The building has always been a Funeral Home, but it doesn't look like a commercial property... or at least it DIDN'T until they set up those headstones. I guess sometime recently they decided that they need to sell headstones as well as have funerals. They couldn't have waited a few months??? Now as you stand at my kitchen sink and look out across the lawn you are staring at 9 headstones. I am just hoping there is a family out there that wants to move here who won't mind looking at headstones while they do dishes.
Meanwhile, at the new house, things are progressing rather nicely. Here is a picture of my kitchen with my cookstove set up and my new work table in front of it. When we had our cookstove in the house we had before I didn't have a table to work on in front of it so I decided to get one for my new kitchen. The person who lived there before had a small dining table in front of the fireplace, but I already have 3 Shaker weavers stools and there is no counter to put them under. I found a work table that I really liked at a local furniture store, but it had a backsplash which would have been annoying in the middle of the room. I went to look at it anyway and found the store has the furniture made locally and will take special orders. I had them take off the backsplash and add a few inches so I could sit my stools at it too. I just love the outcome. What do you think?

13 Comments:

Blogger Quiltgranny said...

Love love love the bench/counter - and the color of it is wonderful. Good luck selling the house. Guess you could have the agent comment that the neighbors next door don't have loud parties and are really a very quiet sort of group, eh?

12:16 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

lovely bench table..

1:50 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Your new kitchen will be lovely. Good luck with the sale !

3:17 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Got to love when you can have something made exactly the way you want it - your table came out wonderful!

And, well, my property abuts a cemetary - I can see people out there visiting on weekends and it doesn't bother me. You just notice it so much because it is new, but maybe you can plant of row of quick-growing hedge or something... Good luck with selling.

Cheers!

Evelyn

7:55 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I like your work table a lot! Good luck with selling the house. We've always managed to time the markets so we can buy high and sell low too.

Maybe they'll sell all of the headstones soon and not re-stock! :)

Judy L.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

our neighbors are not always "kind", are they? I bet we all have some sort of horror stories we could share.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Alena said...

I love your new kitchen, shame for the changes in your neighbourhood and the low real estate market... we are preparing our move as well, even if we are not buying but just renting property, but the job is tough enough as well...
good luck with everything...

9:54 AM  
Blogger  Jeanne said...

The table and stools will work wonderfully -- how delightful to have that stove in the kitchen!
Jeanne:)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Nice looking kitchen in the new house.

I would think that having headstones in the front lawn of a funeral business would detract customers instead attracting them. I bet they will figure that out soon enough.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Tami,
Good luck selling your house. It's looking great!
Hugs
Laurie

7:51 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I like the new table - that is a good idea for the space. (Do you have a regular stove/oven?)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Oh Tami!!! That cookstove is GORGEOUS!!!!! I'm SO jealous! :oP

8:38 AM  
Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my gosh - I love your work table! What a great piece of furniture!

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home