My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

I am a 40 something year old mother of 2. I have always been interested in crafts since my sister and I spent summer weeks with my Grandmother, who was a very crafty lady, while my mother was in college. I mostly quilt since I seem to have an obsession with owning large quantities of fabric, but at one point or another think I have tried almost every craft out there.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

my sewing room

I have been collecting fabric for more years than I care to remember. My maternal grandmother was a quilter and although she didn't use quality fabrics taught me the value of mill shopping and buying when on sale. It has become something of an game to me to get fabrics for less. There is a Maine chain of odd lot/insurance loss stores called Marden's that sells quality fabrics for about a third of the price at the LQS per yard. I am about half way between 2 of the locations. Needless to say, since we moved here 7 1/2 years ago my stash has been increasing by leaps and bounds.

I have been lurking on the Stashbuster Yahoo group and have decided to accept the challenge to photograph at least in part my stash.


My husband is very supportive and no matter how much I come home with the only time he has complained was when we moved it here. I shudder to think what he will say when we move it to the new house. He built me this wonderful cabinet to hold "all" of my quilting fabric. As you can see I am running out of space and since most of the fabrics are stacked 2 deep I have slowed down my buying considerably. I always "shop my stash" and have not bought fabric specifically for a quilt for a long time. As I was viewing the pictures posted by other Stashbusters I was thinking that mine wasn't so out of control after all, but then as I started to realize that not all of my fabric is in this cabinet decided I may be out of control. The large blue tote under the table holds my solids.

My husband also made me the ironing board which is perfect for quilting. The totes underneath hold various categories of fabrics as well as my embroidery threads and sweatshirts and towels to embroider on (I am an equal opportunity stasher) . The closet doors in the background lead to a walk in closet. I am not even going to attempt to take pictures in there but suffice it to say that has my 108 inch backings, wools for braided as well as penny rugs and bolts of quilting cottons that were too cheap to pass up.


This is the nightstand I designed when we got our new bed a couple of years ago. It was so high that we had to lean down to put things on our old ones. My husband built these to maximize storage space. I hate unused space. Some of my quilting books are on the bottom shelf as well as the notebooks I keep patterns downloaded from the internet in. My husband has a matching one on his side and I really did wait for him to fill it on his own. :c ) He had an empty shelf since he doesn't like to read in bed like I do so the last time I straightened up I filled it with my neatly folded UFO's. He laughed when he came up that night saying "Hey, I thought that was my nightstand."

2 Comments:

Blogger Leah Spencer said...

I LOVE the quilt on your bed - morning star, right? It really grabs me! Great blog you have. :)

8:04 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Lovely quilty space...
Amy - also a SB

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home